2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

graph a line (2000)

Hello all,

I would think this should be easy, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I am charting a graph of Price vs Time, (price is on Y axis), I use the average function to find the average price. All I want to do is graph the average on the same chart, so it should just be a straight line. Now my Price and Time columns are about 500 entries, I do not want to create another column that has the average in it just so I can graph a straight line. So....Ho can I make a line across the graph at the average so that it moves as the average moves???

The graph is a regular XY graph with the points connected.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: graph a line (2000)

You only have to create a table with four cells: the minimum and maximum x value in the first column and the average of the 500 entries repeated in the second column.

Click on your chart.
    Select Chart | Add Data...
    Point to the 4 cell range, and click OK.
    In the next dialog, tick "Categories (X values) in the first column", and leave "Replace existing categories" clear.
    Click OK.

Thanks

The simple set up:
    Col A is A2:A500 is time
    col B is B2:B500 price
    In C1 enter
    =average(B2:B500)
    In C2 enter:
    =$C$1
    Copy C2:C500

Great the chart from cols A, B &C

Format as desired.

As the point sin B change the average will change.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I think the first solution may be a little better for my application, the second solution involves making a third column which I don't really want to do, that would make my spreadsheet look ugly. Hans, can your method be changed a little bit? Because this is a spreadsheet which everyone sees, can I not choose to graph A1 and A500 versus C1 alone, that way I don't make a separate 4 cell thing you mentioned. It seems silly that Microsoft did not add functionality for this.

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You do need two separate data values, even if the have the same value, in order tro make a series. You could populate C1 and C500 with the average, and specify that you want to interpolate missing values. Or you can place either the 2 cells I suggested, or the 500 cell column Steve suggested, in another worksheet.

Thanks

Personally, I prefer Hans' offered solution if you are "truly" using an XY scatter and not a line chart.

The way I mentioned is the "easier way" to set up and create for an XY and also works for a Line chart. Hans' solution would have to get more elaborate if you were using a line chart (I know you mention XY, but I have seen many people "think" they are using an XY when in fact it is a line chart.) so I was covering all the bases.

Steve

Thanks

FYI,
    You need the 4 cells since a line is 2 points and a point is 2 coords. So with 4 cells you can define a line

Steve