Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table borders when table is split across pages (2000sr3)

I have a large table that splits across several pages. I want to have horizontal lines (borders) appear at the top of each row, but not at the bottom. That is, the text of the last row on a page has no border below it, but the text of the first row on the next page has a line above it. Obviously I could do this by breaking the table into separate tables, but new rows will be added and re-breaking the tables will be tedious. I've managed to get this to work in a sample table by using the inside borders option on the toolbar, but I can't replicate this on my main table. Is this possible?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table borders when table is split across pages (2000sr3)

Select the entire table (Alt+Num 5)
    Select Format | Borders and Shading...
    Select Table or Cell in the "Applies to" dropdown.
    Click All, then deselect the bottom border - see screenshot.
    Click OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (1.1 KB, 14 views)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table borders when table is split across pages (2000sr3)

Well that works, but my table is actually more complicated, with spanned rows etc. I only want some rows to have the horizontal rule, not all. Following your proceedure I end up with lots of (vertical and horizontal) lines that I don't want.

Is there a way I can format this on a row-by-row basis rather than globally for the whole table? More generally, is there any clear documentation on how Word does table borders?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table borders when table is split across pages

If you select just the rows, columns, or cells that you want to format, you can use the same technique to format just those items. On the Tables & Borders toolbar, you can actually drag off the Borders toolbar. There you will see all sorts of choices for formatting your selection.

Edited to add: See attached.
    Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry guys, but I'm just not getting it. If you can have a look at the attached (two page) document I would be grateful. I want the horizontal line to appear at the top of the second page, but not at the foot of the first page. This file was created with word 2000.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Suggestion:

<UL><LI>Delete blank rows
    <LI>Change paragraph formatting for the right column to Spacing After = 40pt
    <LI>Change paragraph formatting for the entire document to *no* Keep with next
    <LI>Select table, change Table>Properties...>Row to *no* Allow row to break across pages[/list]Any reason not to do this?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi BruceBrad, I use tables extensively in Word and found this one quite interesting! See attached, is this ok? . The only way I could get it done was to put a column break (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) in so that the table is no longer continous. I clicked in the top cell of the table in page 2 and put the break in there. Then by selecting the last cells on page 1 and using 'borders and shading' with apply to cell i took out the last line. Doing the same to put the top line in on the second page.

see attached.

...ah yes, interestingly it looks like there is no line at the top of the table on the second page - go to print preview and you will see that there is!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks,

pmatz

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. This works (I also had to change the para in the first column to space after=40pt because sometimes it has the longer text).

Can you explain why it works? Is there something problematic about blank rows?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce:
    I looked at your attachment & it seemed to do what you wanted. There was some inconsistency with whether the row would break across pages, but when I opened the document, there was no border at the bottom of the first page & there was a border on the top of the second page.

Thanks

I'm not sure why it works better, but perhaps it has something to do with the consistency of formatting (of the borders applied to the rows)?