Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

File Lock Problem - Pub 2000 (2000 SP3)

Background: Publisher 2000 running on Windows XP Pro with 2 PC's utilising XP's Peer-Peer Networking

Problem: When I try and open the Publisher document on the other PC it reports that the file is in use and cannot be opened. I have tried rebooting the PC on which the files resides, rebooting the other PC but still the file remains locked. The PC on which the document resides can open it. If I copy the file to a new file, then the other PC can open it.

I want to be able to share this file so that two people can update their aspects at DIFFERENT times.

Anyone got any ideas [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Lock Problem - Pub 2000 (2000 SP3)

Hello, I too am running XP on two home computers. I started Pub 2000 on mine and opened a file on the other.
    I did not have Pub 2000 runing on the other, but I don't think it would make a difference, as long as it too does not have the same file open. You can not have the same file open at the same time.

Are you getting any type of error message?
    Michael

Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Just tried it again! The Error message states: "The file xxxxx is locked because it is currently being used by another program. Please close the other program and then try opening or importing the file again."

The file is not open anywhere and has not been for several days but still the error persists. The problem is that the file seems to only to be able to be opened on the PC that last had it open. If I use Windows Explorer to make a copy of move it, then the other PC can open the copy, but not the original. I can duplicate this error with other Publisher 2000 files on another network. The problem is reproducible for me!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I cannot give you an answer to this problem but I have spent sometime looking into it and you may find it useful to have my analysis.
    I have been running Publisher on a variety of networks for many years and never had any problems accessing the files on network drives, until the arrival of XP. When I have a network with an XP machine sharing a drive then all the other machines on the network (XP or otherwise) seem to be able to open and close Publisher files on the shared drive OK. The problem occurs when the machine with the shared drive is used to open a Publisher file; at that point it becomes the only machine that can open that particular file - the other machines get the file locked error message reported above.
    Rebooting the machine in question does not clear the lock - the only thing that can be done is to copy the file and then get rid of the old copy.
    This problem does not occur with Excel or Word but I have seen exactly the same thing with Access 2000 database files, and also zip files where they have been updated on the sharing machine - so it is not just a Publisher issue. As it is not even possible to copy the files from the shared drive the finger seems to point at XP's file locking process. Unfortunately I have made no progress with this - does anyone out there know how XP keeps a track of locked files on a shared drive - it must be logged permanently somewhere to survive the rebooting.