Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page Numbers (word 2002)

I have a 200 page document. I want to have page numbers starting on page 3 throught 200. Page 3 should start with 1, page 4 should have 2, and so on. When I use the insert page numbers in word, I keep getting page numbers on page 2. How can this be done, so page 1 & 2 have no page numbers on them and page 3 starts with the page numbers?

Thanks,
    Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Numbers (word 2002)

At the end of page two, insert a section break (Insert | Break...); depending on your document it can be a continuous or next-page section break.
    Click somewhere in page 3, then select View | Header and Footer. If you want the page number in the footer, click the Header or Footer button in the toolbar.
    By default, the header or footer of the second section will be the same as that of the first section. You can break this link by clicking the Same as Previous button in the toolbar.
    If you don't have a page number yet, insert one using the Insert Page Number button on the toolbar.
    Next, select Insert | Page Numbers..., then click Format...
    Select Start At, and enter 1 in the box.
    Click OK to return to the Page Numbers dialog. Don't click OK there, but click Cancel instead. This dialog inserts page numbers in a frame; you don't want that.
    Now, move up to the header or footer for the first section, and remove any page numbers there.
    Finally, click Close on the toolbar to close Header/Footer view.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mike:
    Use a formula:
    {={page} - 2} where the curly brackets are inserted using Ctrl+F9

Depending upon where you place the field, you may need to divide your document into sections after page 2 so that you don't get page 0 & -1. Then place the formula into the section 2 footer. If you want to avoid sections, you can use this nested field:

{If {page} > 2 "{={page} - 2}" ""} again where the curly brackets are inserted using Ctrl+F9
    Cheers,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Hans:

"This dialog inserts page numbers in a frame; you don't want that."

Why doesn't one want a frame, and how does one get a pg number without it being in a frame?

Thank you. Have a good weekend, ACM

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I prefer having page numbers inline in the header or footer text, I find it easier to control their behavior that way. It may be just a matter of personal preference.

The way to insert page numbers in the header/footer text itself is:
    - Select View | Header and Footer.
    - Position the insertion point where you want the page number (press Tab once or twice if necessary; the Header and Footer styles have centered and right-aligned tab positions by default.)
    - Click the Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar (see screenshot.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (1,010 Bytes, 0 views)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

One limitation with using formulae to calculate page numbers is that, if you use a TOC, the TOC returns the 'real' page number and not the calculated one. The same goes for cross references that refer to page numbers.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi macropod:
    That's a good point. I shouldn't assume that the user won't have a TOC or cross-references.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

ACM,

In older versions of Word (2000 or 97 [don't recall which], and earlier), you used to be able to Insert Page Number anywhere in your document, not just in a header/footer. Starting with the version after the one I don't recall, the Insert dialog limited the Insert Page Number to the header/footer anyway. In either case, the page number came up in a frame - either in the text or in the header/footer.

There was a thread here where someone mentioned they were getting a blank space within the text portion of their document and that it occurred on every page. It turns out that the author had dragged the page# frame from the header/footer to the text area but deleted the page# from within the frame. Hence the text was running around this blank frame. Don't recall all the details or who solved it (Phil?) but that was essentially good enough for me not to want to use frames for page #s.

Once Word restricted the use of the Insert Page Number dialog to placement in the header/footer, I didn't see any advantage to using this dialog (not that I used it anyway).

Fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred - Thanks for your response. It never occurred to me to drag the number from Footer to text area. That knowledge may come in handy -- tho it might get me in trouble. But I may play around with placing a pg number that way.

I, too, had remembered placing numbers where one wanted on a page and I thought Hans might be giving an indication of that. Thus my query...

Thanks again, ACM