5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2003 vs OEM Small Business (XP Professional)

One of the options I have in configuring a new PC I wil be purchasing soon is between Office 2003 Professional at $305 and XP Small Business OEM for $185, a difference of $120. I generally understand that OEM does not get the support that the retail versions receive. Is this the main reason there is a price difference? Does the Small Business OEM product lack any significant component such as Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint, or is it just missing perhaps Front Page or something? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Office 2003 vs OEM Small Business (XP Professional)

See this page for a description of each version . Small Business Edition does not include Access. With the MS Knowledge base (which is accessible to anyone) and forums such as this, lack of support from Microsoft for OEM versions would certainly not be a deciding factor for me.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would be for me, for the simple fact that all upgrade and service packs have to come from the OEM, as does all support. You can't yell at Microsoft over OEM support, and the OEMs sometime take a while to make service packs and patches available.
    Charlotte

Thanks

I have several computers, three of which have OEM versions of Windows XP and two have OEM versions of Office XP & 2003, and at no time have I ever had a problem downloading an update, a security fix, or a Service Pack from Microsoft. The Windows Update site and the Office Update site have never let me down. If an OEM version of Windows has been tweeked for a particular manufacturer's hardware, then certainly MS will not support that. But as far as normal everyday updates and service packs, I have never experienced a problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

I've never heard our IT folks complain about the lack of direct support for Office for our OEM versions. Perhaps this is because we don't need the occasional "call in for your hotfix" patches?

<table border="2" bordercolor="red" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="8"><td>Office Pro 2003 OEM or Retail</td><td>Office XP Small Business Edition OEM</td><tr><td valign="top">Word 2003
    Excel 2003
    Outlook 2003
    Business Contact Manager
    PowerPoint 2003
    Access 2003
    Publisher 2003</td><td valign="top">Word 2002
    Excel 2002
    Outlook 2002

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte

I have Office 2003 Pro installed by Dell as an OEM, and it has never even occurred to me that I should get software updates from Dell!
    Office (and Windows XP Pro!) Updates from Microsoft, in the usual manner, have always worked fine for me, on this box at least.

The only "problem" with OEM software is the licensing issue, but there again you need a proper licence whatever software you buy!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...