2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How about an OL 2003 forum (Outlook 2003)

Don,
    Is the .pst file you "brought in...from another computer" also an OL2003 file? If it's not then it has to be converted to work in OL2003. I'm guessing that at least one of the two OL files you see is an OL2003 file and that you need to import the other one into OL2003. Once the data has been imported into your new .pst file, manually move the older one to another location (backing it up and then deleting is probably the best option.) I suggest the backup delete method, becuase I think that part of my earlier problem arose in part from moving .pst files into a sub-directory within the folder that held the original .psts.

If the above doesn't work, here are the notes I took when I got the problem fixed the last time. Some of the steps below involve messing with the Registry, so caveat one is MAKE A BACKUP OF THE REGISTRY as soon as you open it!!

Good luck,
    Ken Kimbrough

First go to the control panel and select Mail | Show Profiles | Properties | Data Files. If you see more than one profile for your OL folder, remove it. There were 3 in my Data Files, and one said it was a Mail Delivery Location. I took a stab in the dark and delete the other two which eliminated some of the extra folders. However, I still had 3 extra folders. I then found the following Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;292022 .

The article gives a location in the registry that is different if your running Win2K, which I am. If you're on another OS, then search for Profiles within the HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoft folder and you should get to where you need to be. You'll find what you're looking for at the following location if you're in Win2K.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows Messaging SubsystemProfilesMicrosoft Outlook Internet Settings

You should then see a string of keys similar to this: c7133058872a8c4ea8437bc023b08d8c

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember to save a copy of the register before you mess with it. You don't have to save the entire registry, just the HKEY your'e working in. Having saved a copy, you're ready to go. Since I had 3 keys to delete and was feeling my wayalong, I saved the HKEY folder before each delete (named something like c:before_1st_registry_delete, etc.).

The KB article says to "Locate the registry key that contains the old personal folders entry, right-click the key in the right pane, and then click Delete." but doesn't give you a clue as to what the "registry key" looks like. I took a stab at it (after first saving or "exporting" the HKEY) by deleting the entry with the phrase "mspst.dll". There were three of them in my registry which corresponded to the number of additional pst files in my Personal Folder.

Good luck and take it slow.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Delete new PST, add old PST, both listed... (2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 31-May-04 16:30. Split off into its own thread.)</P>This may not be the appropriate thread but I just installed OL 2003 and I deleted the newly created pst file then brought in a pst file from another computer we are retiring. Now, when in OL, it shows two instances of the personal folder file. One of them has a different icon than the other but I am unable to determine what is different (icon too small, eyes too bad).

Anyway, how did you solve your multiple pst problem? or did you post that somewhere already?

Thanks

Re: Delete new PST, add old PST, both listed... (2003)

You can customize the "friendly name" a PST shows in the folder tree. The following is for Outlook 2002:

1. <LI>Right-click the PST name and choose Properties for Personal Folders (or the current friendly name).
      <LI>Click Advanced...
      <LI>Enter new friendly name for the PST. Note: this does not rename the file on disk, only in the folder list.
      <LI>Click OK twice to return to the main interface.
    Note: If any of your macros depend on the name of a specific folder, there is a good chance this will break your macro.

Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No - the one I brought in was an Outlook 97 or 98 pst. I must be doing something wrong since when I try to import the file, there doesn't seem to be any provision for importing a pst file. There are other type files mentioned - delimited, etc - but no Outlook or pst.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don,
    You should be able to go to File | Import Export, select "Import from another program or file", click Next, then scroll down to Personal Folder File (.pst), which is immediately after Personal Address Book. Click Next again and then click on Browse to locate the .pst you want to import. Then go through the steps to import.

Good luck,
    Ken