4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word --> Access (XP)

I have a number of Word files containing testbank questions of the form:

15. The amount by which an objective function coefficient would have to improve before it would be possible for the corresponding variable to assume a positive value in the optimal solution is called the
    a. reduced cost.
    b. relevant cost.
    c. sunk cost.
    d. dual price.
    ANSWER: a
    TOPIC: Reduced cost

That I would like to import to an Access database. Right now, I'm manually cutting and pasting, one field at a time. Is there an easier way?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word --> Access (XP)

Does the Word document consist of a table (or tables)?

What is the structure of the table(s) you want to import to?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It depends a good deal on the way your Word documents are structured. It would be possible to use automation to do the deed for you if each question were formatted in a specific way, but if there is significant variation, it becomes a major challenge. I would actually look at restructureing the Word docs into a delimited text format and then importing them into Access. But even that's a pain if each question is a separate document. Another complication is the number of possible answers - if it varies, the problem is more complex. In the long run you may find that your current cut and pase approach is the quickest. On the other hand if you have 10,000 questions, it would be worth spending quite a few hours to automate the process. I'm afraid this isn't terribly helpful, but perhaps it will give you some guidance.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's the worst possible scenario. Textbook publishers lump all the questions from one chapter together so the true/false all have two answers, the multiple choice have between three and five and then there are the short answer and essay questions where the student is not presented with an answer at all. To make matters worse, the documents are highly formatted (tabs, numbers, some character formatting).

I was hoping that some utility or shortcut would come to mind. Otherwise, I suspect you are right and my copy-and-paste routine is likely the best approach. I do this one chapter at-a-time as I need the questions so I never spend more than an hour or two at any one sitting and I'm not much of an Access expert so any sort of programmng is out of the question.

Thanks
    Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I programming is not feasible, your current approach is the best you can do...