Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Search from Address Bar (IE 6.02)

Hi all. I've run into a problem that I didn't see in the forum. Some time in the last few days, the ability to search from the address bar in IE has stopped working. And, when I click on the "search" button, the only thing that comes up in the left/vertical window is Microsoft's "search companion" window (like you get if you search for files on the system). So, I don't have the list of search sites or the ability to choose a search site. There are no options or "customize" buttons anywhere. I've run Adaware, Spybot, and done a virus scan (all up to date), and nothing came up.

I'm running IE 6.02 (completely up to date) on Windows XP Home (also complete up to date). I do have Mozilla installed on the same PC, if that makes a difference. And I do use both browsers for different things.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on how to fix this. I'd rather not have one default/only search, as mentioned in previous posts with Google fixes. I like being able to choose among the search engines without a bunch of buttons on my links bar and then entering the search terms in the address bar.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Brent

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to Search from Address Bar (IE 6.02)

Not sure if this will help, but the first thing I'd check is Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab & see if you've disabled searching from the address bar. See attached.
    Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have "just display results in the main window" checked under the advanced tab. Sorry I forgot to mention that in my main post.

Also forgot to mention that IE tries to convert the search text to a website. For example, entering "lima beans" in the address bar and pressing enter or clicking go gives me: http:///? "lima beans" as a resuilt and the ol' 404 result page.

Brent

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd be interested to know if you ever resolved this issue because in the last few days I have encountered the same problem and can't figure out why. I did in fact go into tool/internet options/advanced and the "just show results...." is checked.

Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Phil Rabichow to make the link clickable - see Help #19
    CD -

Yes I did find out what the problem was - it was malware/spyware. Even though I had been regularly using updated AdAware and Spybot (along with a firewall and virus scanning), I got infected. I found the problem using a program called "HijackThis" from http://www.merijn.org. I ran the program and deleted a couple of entries that didn't look right. If you're not sure after you see the results, you can copy and post them to the merijn.org site, and you'll get some advice from the folks there. I also recommend using SpywareBlaster -- it sits in the background and does a good job of preventing infections. Both of these programs are available free on the internet.

I would strongly recommend against trying to uninstall Internet Explorer (which was recommended at several other sites). Regardless of the various recommended methods, this caused me more problems than the search issue.

Good luck and I hope it works out. This was a major pain for me to figure out and get rid of . Because of this experience and the other security issues with IE, I just stopped using it.

Brent http://linkURL http://linkURL