New Lounger
    Thanks

Resource definitions in 98 (98)

Just getting back into Project -- is it possible to characterize a person as different sorts of resource depending on his / her function? If, for example, one does project busywork, manages projects, develops business and has a client relationship function, can these four characteristics be set so that the particular individual can be assigned as a resource by the particular function, and have a summary of the total resource usage be shown / reported? If 98 can't do this, would an upgrade help? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Resource definitions in 98 (98)

It sounds as if you are trying to characterize one resource with different skillsets. Normally you would assign generic skillsets to various employees using the group field. For example, if Resource1 is a new carpenter with sheetrock expertise. On the group field for Resource1, you could input New, Carpenter, Sheetrock.

As you are trying to characterize one resource with different skills, you could create a generic resource with each skill, i.e., Resource1Skill1, Resource1Skill2, Resource1Skill3 and then use a grouping resource (not the group field) to identify them with one name.

This may be too much of a headache to manage so many resources if you try to be specific. Why not use generic resources?

HTH.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks

Re: Resource definitions in 98 (98)

One other item, in my old age and senility, I can't remember of project 98 does this, but 2000 can do as I described in my earlier post.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)