3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Messenger (XP Home SP1)

May I start with a totally general question. Do I understand correctly that there are two separate Microsoft products - "messenger" and "Windows Messenger". If so, could someone direct me to a source which describes them adequately. I do not use instant messaging, and have it turned off in outlook.

My PC at home has had some spyware on it that I think I have removed by following advice in the Lounge and using adaware and other products in that space. Boot times have nearly returned to normal, and office apps and document opening times have returned to normal.

Chasing the remnants of the boot times problem (a couple of minutes on a fast-ish PC) led me to a DCOM error in the event log which shows as a 30 seconds failed event, but the description talks about a two minute timeout failure to connect to dcom server. I have traced this by following the M/S error trail to a programme msmsgs.exe. So if there are two messenger programmes, is this one of them, and which. I had used msconfig to switch off loading it at startup, and since I switched it on again the error event has gone.

Which of the two, if any, is essential, and how do I eliminate or at least minimise any overhead from an application I do not really want loading? running windows update also seems to switch windows messenger back on again - or at least I find it in my system tray after some updates..

Sorry if I have failed to find this stuff in an existing thread, and thanks in anticipation,

Mike C

Thanks

Re: Messenger (XP Home SP1)

For starters, try Mark's The Definitive Guide to Disable/Remove Messenger Star Post.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Leif, that certainly seems to hit the spot and I will try some of it out when I get home tonight

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr> May I start with a totally general question. Do I understand correctly that there are two separate Microsoft products - "messenger" and "Windows Messenger". If so, could someone direct me to a source which describes them adequately. I do not use instant messaging, and have it turned off in outlook.

<hr>

I can think of three. I have "Windows Messenger" the Instant Messenging product sitting in my XP system tray. Then there's "MSN Messenger" which seems to be almost, but not quite the same (and it has different version numbers), plus the 'Messenger Service", which is an actual windows service that's often reccomended to be shut down or blocked at the firewall to prevent the delivery of "messenger spam"

Hope this helps

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wait, you're telling me there really is a way to get rid of that annoying messanger program that seems to always get re-installed onto my computer with every Windows update? Finally. Thing bothers me sometimes you know. Alway poping up here and there. Uninstalling it only to have it come back.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think one may find out that Messenger will reappear when SP2 is installed.
    All I do is fire up Messenger and then go into the Preferences and remove ALL check marks. I have NOT had any problems and if a update puts is back I do not care. Why fight it, just turn it OFF.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to the suggestion above I have also blocked the Messenger application totally through my software firewall, this will it will never find an open port or external connection so you don't get bugged with it looking any further.

Neil

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hmm, well I guess if it comes back to often I will just have to settle with turning it off. Better than getting mad about it coming back on me all the time.