3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clipboard/print screen file location?

Dear members of the board,

where does Windows NT store
    - the (image?) file produced by the print screen command ((ALT+)'Prt Sc' on my keyboard)?
    - the file produced by the 'copy to clipboard' command, and in which format? Can it be used as it is?

Practically speeking, I want someone to send me a print screen and wonder if he/she can do this without having to use Word/Excel/... a 'carrier' (I mean: after using the print screen command opening Word/Excel, pasting (CTRL+V) the print screen result in a new file, saving that file & sending that file) or any other software (I mean: like Screenhunter & C

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clipboard/print screen file location?

Pressing PrintScreen or Alt+PrintScreen creates a copy of the screen or of the active window in the clipboard; this is located in memory, not on disk. So you must paste the image into an application that accepts graphics. A graphics program, such as Paint, MS Photo Editor or IrfanView may be more suitable than Word, because you can save the image as a .jpg or .png file. If you don't do this, the image will be lost.

Most dedicated screen capture applications can save the screen images directly to disk, without pasting them into another application first.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clipboard/print screen file location?

Thanks!!!