Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Main Client is Blocked (Windows 98/ OE 6.1)

I just returned from a 10 day vacation and am trying to catch up on work. I am sending emails as usual and suddenly everything I send to my main client is being returned with the following message:

Permanent Failure: 553_sorry,_that_domain_isn't_in_my_list_of_allowed _rcpthosts_(#5.7.1).

I have been able to send emails to others with no problem. I didn't change any settings. Is the problem with MY machine or theirs? And if it is with mine, how do I fix it?

Thanks

Re: My Main Client is Blocked (Windows 98/ OE 6.1)

Did you change your SMTP (outgoing mail) server? The error usually means that you are trying to send messages through a server you are not authorized to send through.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Who is your ISP?

I ask because I use a 'virtual' ISP, bigfoot.com, which some company email systems are set to block (don't ask me why, I presume some idiot has used a bigfoot address to send some spam and got the domain blacklisted somewhere), but I then find that if I use one of my other addresses it accepts mail from me quite happily.

If you have more than one email address you can use, try using another one and see if it is accepted - to do this as a test, you don't need to make any major changes, just go to Tools, Accounts, select your account, click Properties and change the 'reply address' from your usual one to the other you're trying - that's apparently all it takes! You can change it back after you've tried a test email (it's not surprising it's so easy for spammers to hide their origin, is it?!)

If you find this works, set yourself up a second account with all identical settings to your main one except the reply address (Tools, Accounts, New). In future you'll find a dropdown button called 'Accounts' on the toolbar when you create an email and you can quickly change to the other one when you need to, just for that email.

Note: I'm sending this from work, where I don't have access to OE, so all instructions are from memory - I therefore apologise in advance if they're not quite 100% correct! Hopefully they're near enough that you can work them out, though!

HTH
    Beryl M

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your help. Apparently the fault is at the client's end. I am able to send and receive e-mail from everyone else. They have been working on a fix--so apparently I'm not the only one having trouble reaching them.