New Lounger
    Thanks

PowerPoint in NT to XP Migration (XP)

We will soon migrate our PCs from NT to XP. I am responsible for producing and maintaining a library of between 200 and 300 PPT slides. Nothing fancy - no video or photos. Just bullet lists, some bar charts, a few line or pie charts. Others in our company who migrated recently report having PPT slides suddenly develop what sound like font mismatch problems. For example, bullets turn into smiley faces or a circle with a digit 3 inside. Only way to fix this was to individually edit each slide. Can anyone give me some general guideline for how to avoid problems with my existing PPT files when we migrate to XP? Can anyone suggest a more efficient way to fix the kind of anomalies I described? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PowerPoint in NT to XP Migration (XP)

You can try embedding the fonts, but I don't think this will resolve your problem in the long run. See, fonts have various levels of embeddability, and it's hard telling what level the ones you've used have. You can check Font Embedding for more specifics.

What I would do is open those presentations on the "problem" machines, go to Format/Replace Fonts and see which fonts are missing. You can tell which are missing by looking for question marks (?) before any fonts in the list. Make sure that those fonts get installed on all your Windows XP systems. That will prevent PPT from using what it considers a comparable font for the missing fonts, which is why you're seeing odd symbols in your existing presentations.

Thanks

Re: PowerPoint in NT to XP Migration (XP)

In other Office programs, changing printer drivers (e.g., from PostScript drivers to PCL drivers, for HP LaserJet printers) can sometimes create problems with printer-based (as opposed to disk-based) fonts. Because XP probably has new printer drivers, check this, too.