New Lounger
    Thanks

Epson printer has gone haywire

I have an Epson Stylus C80. Within the last few days, it has become quirky...will print out 1/2 of a page, then start sending blank sheets through the machine at rapid speed before printing the other 1/2 of the page on another sheet! Maddening. Doesn't do it all the time, either....

I deleted the printer and reinstalled with original drivers, and that solved the problem for awhile, but -- like a gremlin -- it's back. I'm operating with Windows XP

Any advice?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Epson printer has gone haywire

Sounds to me that a paper sensor isn't sensing correctly! Have you tried looking very carefully inside to see if there is a small ripped-off bit of paper anywhere? Can you check the entire paper path for dust/dirt/gunge?

I would say that it is more likely to be a mechanical problem than a driver problem - but hey, what do I know?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

If it does not happen all the time, does it happen repeatedly on the same document(s)? If so, could be something in the document formatting.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

When I go to the control panel and click on the default printer, I can see what's happening in the status pop-up box. It seems to reflect "dummy" documents piling up in the queue... "Epson EPABI Dummy Document" or some such name. I don't know where they're coming from. I've searched the Epson Web Site tech support area for some reference to dummy documents, and can find no information.

Does this sound like a virus? I'm consistently running and updating Norton Antivirus...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think it's a virus. I've seen this happen before with Epson printers, and a few others. Here is what I suggest you try:
    <UL><LI>Open the Services console. Click Start - Run and enter services.msc in the box. Click OK.
    <LI>Locate the Print Spooler service and click on it.
    <LI>Click on the text on the left that reads <font color=blue>Stop</font color=blue> the service.
    <LI>Click Start - Run and in the box that appears enter <code>%systemroot%system32spoolprinters</code> and click OK.
    <LI>An Explorer window should open and in the folder that appears, you will see any documents that have been spooled to the printer. Delete anything you find there.
    <LI>Restart the Print Spooler service and exit the Services console.[/list]I cannot promise you that this will eradicate the dummy documents, but it will ensure that you have cleaned out any gunk that may be lingering in the print queue. Worth a try...
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did a quick google on "epson dummy document" and the first link in the list seems to have a fix: http://boards.screenprinters.net/viewthread/64/45828

Lounger
    Thanks

I have the same printer, and loved it; until it started doing the same thing. Eventually, it stopped working all together. Now when I try to use it, I get a paper jam error and there's no paper in the printer. I just went and bought an HP. I've had problems with their PCs but never their printers!