3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form fields (Excel 2002 XP)

I have a spreadsheet that the accounting department would like to turn into a fill in form, similar to Word's form fields. They sent me the file and would like me to enter the "fields". I am not really familiar with the way Excel protects the cells. I selected the cell, then clicked on protect document and allow users to edit ranges and then protected the form, however you can still click in the surrounding cells. In Word, once you lock the form, you just tab through the form. What am I doing wrong? There is an option to allow users to select unlocked cells but when I try to disable it, it also disables the option to allow users to select locked cells (which I thought were the fill in fields??)

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Form fields (Excel 2002 XP)

It sounds like you have not protected the file correctly.
    I would return to the file and unprotect and then choose Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet. You'll get the dialog box you see attached. Make sure you disable the ability to select locked cells. Then your users should be able to Tab from cell to cell.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried this and it is still not working. If I deselect these options, I cannot click or tab on any of the fields. What is the best method of adding the fields?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you unlocked the cells before protecting the worksheet?
    - If necessary, unprotect the worksheet.
    - Select the cells that the use must be able to use (if they are not contiguous, use Ctrl+Click to select multiple cells.)
    - Select Format | Cells...
    - Activate the Protection tab.
    - Clear the Locked check box.
    - Click OK.
    - Protect the worksheet (Tools | Protection | Protect Worksheet...)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess I am not really sure what I was doing! I selected the cell, then clicked on protect document and allow users to edit ranges and then protected the form. What is this used for? I like your method better! Thank you.

Thanks

Allowing users to edit ranges is new in this version of Excel. It seems to me that the benefit of using that technique is that you could have different ranges identified with different passwords. So you could control who added data in different ranges of the spreadsheet.

Make sense?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Makes sense, yes. Thank you very much! I sent the form to the AP people. Hopefully they will like it!
    Thanks
    Melanie