New Lounger
    Thanks

USB or other removeable drives

This has happened in both Win98 and WinXp. I'll use a current machine as the exemplar: 2 HDs, C and F - the internal Zip is D and the CD Drive is E; when I attach a flash drive, Windows should reconfigure itself to show it as G ... but it doesn't. However, when I type G: in the address bar and hit Enter, it does reconfigure and show the flash drive as G.

Why ... how to "fix" ... help??? Thanks much ... !!!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB or other removeable drives

Are you seeing this behaviour when Windows Explorer is already open? Do you have to enter G: in the address bar each and every time regardless?
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

1. "Are you seeing this behaviour when Windows Explorer is already open?"

No, both before I open Win Explorer and after; I've booted with the flash drive in place , but it doesn't alsways show up.

2. "Do you have to enter G: in the address bar each and every time regardless?"

No, this is not an always thing, altho with this particular machine it's dragging on. I've had the recalcitrant drive start showing itself after being "kicked loose" (and by the way, I've had this phenomena with zip drives on other machines and CD drives (albeit I think all were 2nd drives)

I so much appreciate your help ... !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Do you get any error messages? Have you deleted your USB root hubs and re-booted so Windows can re-install them?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe...

1. "Do you get any error messages?" No, none.

2. " Have you deleted your USB root hubs and re-booted so Windows can re-install them?" No, I figured that, since everything was OK once Explorer was focused on the G: drive (the flash drive), the USB hubs weren't the prob. I'll give that a try, however. (remember I've had this phenomena with zip and CD drives as well (but only 2nd cd drives). Maybe it's not purely a Windows prob.

Many thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

It could be that having Windows rediscover the root hubs that the USB configuration stuff will be re-built thus allowing it to discover devices correctly.

Joe
    Joe