Lounger
    Thanks

moving items from a search (Outlook XP/SP2)

Dear all,
    I have a weird behavior in Outlook. If I do a search using the find feature from Outlook in my inbox and want to move found items to a PST or to another folder in my Mailbox I get the error "can't move the items". If I don't use the find feature and directly move a single items or more items from my inbox to a PST or another folder it works. I have found out it isn't an issue with PST. Must be an issue with Outlook. Outlook is used with Exchange 2000.

I have posted this message to the Outlook newsgroup from MS, but didn't receive an answer. Searching google for the phrase "can't move items" retrieves some results, showing that others have the same problem, but with no answer.

I don't think a upgrade to SP3 will have any effect for this issue.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Edy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: moving items from a search (Outlook XP/SP2)

Hello Edy,

According to some newsgroup posts and to MSKB article OL2002: Error When You Try to Move or Copy Items from the Advanced Find Window, you should be able to move selected items by selecting Move to Folder from the Edit menu or from the right-click menu, even if drag 'n drop causes the error message you describe.

Thanks

Similar thread from January: Drag and drop from Find window (2002)

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

Do you know, if that's fixed in SP3? Another option would be to find out which COM add-ins is te culprit. I had a look yesterday at the COM components and it is not easy to guess. Also I tried a standard installation of WinXP and Office XP and it didn't work either. Looks like this feature hate WinXP.

Regards
    Edy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't know if SP3 has fixed this problem. I have not installed SP3 and I don't have the problem anyway.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know of a fix for this, but if it's any comfort I use XP on a home, standalone machine and it behaves exactly the same way, so it's not Exchange.

However, I can confirm that the suggested workaround of using 'move to folder' (rightclick, toolbar button or menu item) does work!
    Beryl M