Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Document comparisons (WordXP)

When we do a document comparison its so fiddly. When we compare and merge 2 documents (without stripping the doc) the result is the 'merged' document will display track changes up till a point. eg upto half way thru the document, then after that it wont display any more comparisons when there have been.
    So we have to manually edit & strip both documents. ie the users will go thru & delete all the fieldcodes, delete all text in the headers and footers - then can the users begin to do a successfull compare & merge.
    I know theres 3rd party utilties to do document comparison - we have been evaluating DeltaView (everyone raves about but is expensive ). + others.
    I've read on the web thats Document comparison is still 'buggy' or dogdy in XP.
    I've also heard that WordXP document comparison, track changes nearly killed the product DeltaView ( I dont know how true this is though).
    My question is whats new for document comparison, track changes in WordXP. the advantages? what are the steps that need to be done? ie do we still have to manually stripp the document before we can even do a compare?

many thanks Diana

Thanks

Re: Document comparisons (WordXP)

When Microsoft completely changed the way tables worked in Word 2000, it seemed to create huge problems for the comparison feature. After a certain number of changes, you'd often find the entire old document shown as deleted and the new document shown as inserted. In our office, people who still had Word 97 often were asked to do compares for Word 2000 users.

I think the situation has improved somewhat in Word 2002, although there are other issues with the track changes/compare features, such as the removal from any convenient place of the Accept/Reject dialog in favor of the toolbar, and the bug that sometimes large blank areas are left in printouts even when "balloon" display of markup has been turned off. Sigh.

Bottom line: the built-in feature is okay for many people, but if you really need a reliable comparison tool that doesn't create more work than it saves, you still should be shopping for a third party product. In addition to DeltaView, which, as you say, is too expensive for many companies, you could look at the products offered by Softinterface, including Diff Doc.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document comparisons (WordXP)

hey jefferson

thanks for that. yes i've already experienced the WordXP bug of large blank areas are left in printouts.
    our IT CIO was speaking with DeltaView & he managed to convince them to become more flexible in their licencing. however it was still too expensive.
    however given the cost of Deltaview & I keep asking what is the real cost when the users time take to manually edit & labouriously strip the documents first, before the compare & merge can be done. + plus other manual changes required. then the compares. things like the size of the documents (if large documents) and the pc's memory also effect Words compare's result.

Diana :-)