2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form fields (Word 2002 SP3)

I have a template with 4 form fields that must be filled out appropriately. I am checking each field with a macro after exiting the field. When I detect an error, I rewrite the original value back into the field and select that field again.
    The macro works as coded but when is finishes, the next field is always selected. It appears to me, that the Tab character entered by the keyboard (which caused the macro to execute) is executed after the macro is finished.
    How can I have the original field stay selected so that the user can correct the data without first back tabbing into the field?
    Thanks for any suggestions

Thanks

Re: Form fields (Word 2002 SP3)

The Exit macro of a Word FormField runs between the time the user asks to leave the field and the time Word proceeds to the next field. There is no "cancel exit" option. So... what to do? Change your approach somewhat and use entry macros to check was the user just did in the last field, and go back if needed. Rough example: <post#=133870>post 133870</post#>.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form fields (Word 2002 SP3)

Two alternatives I've used:

1. Quick & dirty: SendKeys "+{TAB}" (=Shift Tab) near the end of the ExitMacro jumps back one FormField. But this has it's drawbacks and you should avoid this if possible.

2. A better approach is to use Application.OnTime :

Public Sub ExitMacro()
    'Place your code here
    Application.Ontime When:=Now, Name:="GetBack"
    MsgBox "Something is wrong"
    End Sub

Public Sub "GetBack"
    ActiveDocument.FormFields("YourField").Select
    End Sub

Application.OnTime fires a timer which causes the call to the specified Sub, in this case GetBack. As soon as a button on the MsgBox is clicked and the first Sub is ended, this Sub is executed and the formfield "YourField" is selected.
    When:=Now works for me in the cases I used it, but maybe you need a little bit of experimenting with the time.