New Lounger
    Thanks

Stable Paragraph Numbering (97)

I am looking for a way to get a stable paragraph numbering scheme for some specifications I need to produce. These paragraph numbers need to appear at the Body Text level and not an Outline level - I already have solid and stable heading numbering scheme using Word built-in heading styles.

An example of the sort of output I require is:

4. Heading 1
    4.1 Heading 2
    4.1.1 Heading 3
    4.1.1.1 Body Text
    4.2 Heading 2
    4.2.1 Body Text &c.

I have experimented with both AUTONUMLGL and LISTNUM fields with no luck. AUTONUMLGL seems to require the whole document numbering schema to use those fields (I have had some success in the past with this technique but cannot use it in this instance as I am using a client's template). LISTNUM fields seemed more promising but when they are added to a document the just take the same level as the section paragraph (eg if the heading is 4.2 an added LISTNUM field would be numbered 4.3 rather than the 4.2.1 required).

I know that LISTNUM fields can be promoted and demoted but that is a manual process and I really need an automatic technique. Unfortunately I cannot "hijack" a level of heading to produce the paragraph numbering as the number could exist at any level in the hierarchy from 2-9 and will exist at different levels in the same document.

I would appreciate your help with this as it is driving me to distraction at the moment.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Stable Paragraph Numbering (97)

Can you try to explain a bit more clearly why you can't use your existing, stable, numbering scheme. what is the difference between a numbered heading at a particular level and the body text that you plan to use?

Maybe you could simply define a set of styles called "Numbered Body Text 2", "Numbered Body Text 3"etc. each based on the corresponding heading level, but with a paragraph format set to outline level and font format set to look like your body text. I have just tested this and it appears to handle the numbering in a reasonable way.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (2.3 KB, 1 views)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi,

You might be able to adapt the procedures below, which I picked up from an MS Newsgroup, for creating Heading Levels beyond 9 to suit your needs. I haven't used this myself, but what I understand to be required is to change the value in the STYLEREF field to match the heading level that you want to append the body text numbering to.

Cheers

You can to create up to 18 levels of numbering, working with the STYLEREF and LISTNUM fields. To do this, set up the built-in Heading styles in the legal number format 1.1., 1.1.1., etc. and use them for levels 1 through 9. Beyond level 9, use the STYLEREF and LISTNUM fields side by side - the first to capture the 9 numeric values at the point of insertion, and the second to number levels 10 to 18.

{ STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 1 S 1 }
    { STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 2 }
    { STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 3 }
    { STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 4 }
    { STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 5 }
    { STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 6 }
    { STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 7 }
    { STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 8 }
    { STYLEREF 9 S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault L 9 }

. . . gives you . . .
    . . . etc.

You have to be careful about adding the start switch S 1 to the *first* level 10 field that follows a Heading 9 number because it re-starts all levels 10 and above. But that's only the one immediately after a Heading 9; otherwise you don't want any S switch at all, just the level switch L as shown above. Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward method: Heading styles up to level 9, side-by-side fields after that. If someone absolutely insists that there be no period after the last number, you're out of luck. The period is part of the LISTNUM LegalDefault style and cannot be removed.

Should your format call for a mix of numbering styles other than straight legal numbering, you could handle that too - by setting up a named list template with outline-numbered styles defined by you, then using that name within the LISTNUM field in place of LegalDefault. In that case, you'd never actually use the styles you create; you'd use the LISTNUM field as a substitute for them.

Setting up the 18 levels is the easy part. After that, how could anyone possibly read them?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, I have been reformatting documents that need exactly this kind of numbered headings and numbered paragraphs, as well as normal text and other styles.

We have macros that generate the numbered paragraph numbers, and set that paragraph to a style, see screenshot.

I can't access the macros as they were written by another developer, but it seems they somehow calculate the current position relative to last heading level and number, and depending on which level paragraph you request it puts in the numbering and sets the style.

We have buttons for level 1,2,3 and 4 numbered paragraphs. I could look further into this if you like, but am sure people in the lounge would know how to write this code anyhow, in fact, I probably should have a go at doing it myself!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,

pmatz

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response and sorry for the delay in getting back but I have been fighting other dragons.

On your first point, what I meant here was that I can't use the same set of styles for my body text as i do for my headings. Other than that there is no difference.

On your second point, could you explain how you derived your "Numbered Body Text" set of styles that use the same numbering as the headings. I tried this about a thousand years ago but failed dismally - the body text styles seemed to use a different numbering source so the output would look something like:

1 Heading 1
    1.1 Heading 2
    1.1.1 Numbered text 3 (ok so far)
    1.2 Heading 2
    1.1.2 Numbered text 3 (oops)
    1.3 Heading 2
    1.1.3 Numbered text 3 (oops again)

Obviously I did something wrong, perhaps you could explain what.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The numbered paragrah styles can be created in Word 2002 by...

Format > Styles and Formatting... > New Style
    Name: Numbered Paragraph 1
    Styl;e Type: Paragraph
    Style based on: Heading 1
    Format > Font > and set the characteristics I want

Repeat for styles Numbered Paragraph 2 - Numbered Paragraph 9

StuartR