New Lounger
    Thanks

LDB files (Access 2000)

Hi,
    One of my databases is causing us a problem. After exiting, the .ldb file still stays in the directory preventing the user from entering the file again until the computer has been shut down. It can't be deleted. I have about 12 different split databases running over our company's wide area networks and it does happen occasionally. But this time it is happening every time this particular database is used. Any ideas or solutions greatly appreciated. Thanks Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: LDB files (Access 2000)

Check carefully whether a minimized instance of Access remains in the task bar after exiting the database, and if not, whether an instance of Access remains in memory (check this in the Task Manager.) Post back with the results.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,
    Thanks for your reply.
    There is no instance of Access in either the task bar or in the task manager!
    Regards
    Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you check the Processes tab of the task manager and not just the applications list? My experience has been that when an LDB file will not allow you to delete, there is always an Access process running. I don't know what causes it, but I have taken every precaution I can in my applications. I almost always see it when I am in the process of developing an app and there are still loose ends in my code or after an abnormal program ending. BTW, usually just logging out of Windows will clear the process. I don't normally have to actually restart my machine to clear those stubborn ones.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Normally, when the last user exits a database, the .ldb file should be deleted. There are a few possible explanations for the .ldb file remaining:
    <UL><LI>The database has not been closed properly, but caused a crash. As far as I can tell from your description, this is not the case.
    <LI>The user does not have sufficient permissions in the folder containing the database. Access requires users to have Read/Write/Create/Delete permissions. If they don't have Delete permissions, the .ldb file cannot be removed.
    <LI>The database has become corrupt. Try Tools | Database Utilities | Compact and Repair Database. (If you can't Compact and Repair because of the locked .ldb file, move the database to a different folder temporarily.)[/list]HTH