Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer closes (XP Home)

I have two XP(H) machines in a home network. I had started work on an Access project on computer #2, where I usually work, and I'd saved the file in the Shared Documents directory for computer #1. Later I went to #1 to continue work and used my own account to log on. Then I used Windows Explorer to find and open the document. Everything went OK as I drilled down thru My Network Places, then on to the drive where the file is located. But when I tried to open the last folder in the tree, the Explorer window simply closed unceremoniously. No error message, no warning...just closed. I tried this three times before I finally gave up.

Next I logged out and back in with my wife's account. This time I was able to access the file with no problems. I'm at a loss to explain this behavior. Yes, I do have administrator rights for this machine. In fact, at one time #1 was our only computer, and I'm the one who sets up and maintains the entire operation. What should I look for?

Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer closes (XP Home)

I suspect that there's a problem executing a shell extension. Try this: segregate everything in that folder into separate subfolders, based on file extension, and see which, if any, of the folders you can get into. (I guess LDB and MDB files want to be together, but otherwise...) Does it change anything?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer closes (XP Home)

Thanks, Jefferson! I'll have to try your suggestions over the weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.