New Lounger
    Thanks

Paste Special / Picture Wrap Error in Word2K (Word 2000)

This issue got buried yesterday in an Insert PDF by Reference thread, so I'm putting it out as a new thread because I still need help.

I am trying to insert images of letters and forms (.doc files) into a user guide (.doc file) such that if they are updated, the images in the user guide are also updated. I am not able to do this with PDFs, and Hans V. instructed me on how to use copy/paste special as picture with link to file to accomplish it. It works just great for him (Word 2002), but for me (Word 2000) the far right end of every line in the pasted document segment is wrapped to a second line, which throws the whole form off.

I've attached one of the documents I'm trying to insert (I tried it with just page 1), and am hoping that someone else with Word 2000 could try the copy/paste special as picture to see if you get the same wrapping problem. And I am also hoping that someone can tell me how to stop the wrapping because this approach seems to be the solution I need. (Or, I'd be glad to learn of another solution.)

Thanks,
    Barb
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paste Special / Picture Wrap Error in Word2K (Word 2000)

I don't have Word2000 to test this with, but I can tell you a story about a similar problem and its solution.

I had to copy a coplex diagram from a word document and paste it to another one as a picture. The fonts and paragraph attributes kept changing in the way you describe. The fix was to ensure that there was no manual formatting for any font or paragraph attributes in the source document. It appeared that something about the copy and paste special was causing the source text to revert to its default paragraph style.

A quick check shows that your document has a lot of manual formatting, can you try defining styles and applying these and see if it fixes your problem.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Stuart. Your story, along with Hans's help, gave me the fuel I needed to get my MS Word upgraded. Unfortunately, the person who created the forms I need to insert, like too many people in my unfortunate experience, does not know or choose to use styles. The effort to "fix" all the forms to use styles would be massive, and since it appeared that a later version of Word would eliminate the problem, I pursued that avenue. And I was successful. I am now using Word 2003, and the problem does not exist.

One new question... Is there a way to put a border around the picture, but leave some space between the picture and the border? The border insists on butting right up against the text. Is there a better solution than putting a text box around the picture?

Thanks,
    Barb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The obvious solutions to your border problem are to place the picture in a text box, or a frame, or a table cell. The only other alternative I can think of is to draw a rectangle with a border and no fill around the picture.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is the objection agains a text box?

Select the linked picture object by clicking once on it.
    Select Insert | Text Box.
    This will create a text box around the picture.
    It will probably have a border, if not, you can set it using Format | Text Box..., Colors and Lines tab.
    You can also specify the distance between the border and the picture in that dialog (in the Text Box tab)

Added: also see Stuart's reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had no objection to a text box; I just didn't realize I could make it "stick" with the picture. I did the paste into text box and adjusted the inside borders (and discovered that I had to turn off Resize AutoShape to fit text so the bottom border wasn't too large), and all is well. It looks just as I had hoped. But I think I may have taken the long, hard road, and will try your idea, Hans, of inserting the text box after the paste.

MANY thanks to both of you for your helpful and VERY prompt support.
    Barb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hans' method will only work if your picture is formatted as "Inline with text", you can change the default for inserted pictures from Tools > Options > Edit, or for a particular picture from Format > Picture > Layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (15.5 KB, 0 views)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paste Special / Picture Wrap Error in Word2K (

Hi Barb:
    I'm a little late on this but just so you know, I've tested this in Word 2000.
    1. What you have to do is open your original document & your old document.
    2. Then go to Tools/Templates & Add-ins/Organizer from your new document.
    3. Close normal.dot & browse for your original document. You should now have the original document on one side of the Organizer & the new document on the other side.
    4. Select all the styles from the original document & paste them 3 times into the new document.

Now you can copy & paste link without losing any formatting. When your styles are defined differently in two documents, copying from the source to the target will result in the targets styles being used wherever the style names are identical & the style has already been used in the target document.

The last thing that you might need to do is set the margins the same in the target document.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil. I'll file this for reference. Just curious, though... why do the styles have to be pasted 3 times? And will this work even if there are only a handful of styles (e.g., a couple of headings) in the source document and the rest is manually formatted normal style? The source document's manual formatting of the normal style won't conflict with the target document's normal style? The manual formatting is carried over?
    Barb

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Barb:
    I got this information from (Charles Kenyon). Styles can be based on other styles in a hierarchy. When you copy styles, Word has it's own order of copying. If S1 is based on S2 based on S3, it may copy S1 first. Since S2 & S3 don't exist at that time, S1 will be based on normal. Copying 3 times seems to take care of that problem.

If your text to be pasted contains manual formatting, then that will be retained, unless you paste as unformatted text. However, if the text is merely a different style definition, copying the styles will be make sure that your styles are used. I don't have time to search right now, but one of the WMVPs has posted a macro that makes sure that all styles that you have are used in a template. This means that all documents based on that template will retain their style definitions when text with the same style name is pasted in it.
    Hope this helps,