2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oracle and Refresh (2002 SR1)

I have reverse engineered a single schema for an Oracle DB. I would like to refresh just that schema, not all schema's in the DB. How do I do that.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Oracle and Refresh (2002 SR1)

I don't like your chances of getting this one answered. What part does Visio play in this question?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In visio, if I create a new "Database Model Diagram" there is a "Database" menu, with a "reverse engineer" function. The wizard will allow me to select whatever tables, views, functions or procedures I want to include in my drawing, and imports thier definitions. I can allow the wizard to add the shapes to the page, or I can add the shapes manually from the "Tables and Views" dialog available with the "Database Model Diagram".

All of this works extreemly well. However, if I add a table, or change a table definition, the "Refresh Model" option on the "Database" menu does not work so well for me. I am working in a large facility, our database has 100's of tables. Functionality is seperated by Schema's, i.e. Manufacturing and Materials Schema's. The "Reverse Engineer" wizard takes a few minutes to run. The "Refresh Model" wizard compares every table in the database (apparently) with the drawing and takes well over an hour before I have the option to select what objects I wish to refresh.

I have had good response from the Lounge in the past. I was hoping for a repeat perfomance. My next step is to try an Oracle board and hope for some Visio users.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have never done this so none of this may be relevant but when I did a search on google on some of the terms you used there were plenty of hits so there must be a lot of people doing this sort of thing. You might want to look at doing this search yourself to see if anything catches your eye. I had a look around and here are a couple of MS knowledge base articles which might be relevant to you.
    <!mskb=286424>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 286424<!/mskb>
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830242 talks about a patch for Visio 2002 to avoid a hang in refreshing Oracle from Visio
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia