New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Asks to Save When No Change Has Been Made (XP)

After a reinstall from the ground up, Word has started asking if I want to save changes even though I have made no changes. This doesn't happen with all of my documents though; mostly to ones that have a TOC and/or hyperlinks. One document doesn't have any of that; the only fields are in the footnote for page numbers. In another, if I close it immediately, Word will not ask about saving, but if I click on a TOC hyperlink, I will get the save request. Any ideas?

Bill Martz
    intrinsic@twmi.rr.com

Thanks

Re: Word Asks to Save When No Change Has Been Made (XP)

Word might want to save changes after field codes are updated. Maybe those fields (TOC and HYPERLINK fields) are updating themselves automatically??

New Lounger
    Thanks

In my old installation, which I still have because I am using BootIt NG to dual boot, I don't have the problem. Something about this new installation of Word is causing the problem. Because my partitions don't have the same letters, some hyperlink references are invalid, but in one of the documents I have fixed all those problems. In addition, one of the documents has only page number fields in it, and that should never give me a problem.

Thanks for giving it a shot.

Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you wish, you can post a copy of one of the documents. Make sure to remove all sensitive information.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

In order to do as you suggested, I felt I had better cut down the size of the document I wanted to send, so I started deleting pages. As I did, I kept checking to see if the problem was still there. When I discoved that the problem had gone away, I started deleting fewer and fewer pages until I found the dividing line between problem/no problem. The culprit was some text that was flagged as a grammer problem--had an extra space. Interestingly, there are many cases of text flagged as a grammer problem, but that one item was causing the problem. Same thing in the second document I was having trouble with. Different grammer problem, though.

Thanks for motivating me to find the nefarious text.

Bill