Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Search box failing (XP/2000)

I've got what seems like a bizarre situation with a search box on one of my forms. In the form header I have two search boxes that the user can employ to find a particular student record. One use's the PID (payroll ID), the other the student's last name.

First, a little background: We have a split database

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search box failing (XP/2000)

Some things to try on one of the PC's that have this problem:

- Open the local front end.
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11) [If you have disabled this in Tools | Startup..., you will have to open the front end with the Shift key held down]
    - Select Debug | Compile <projectname>. Do you get errors?
    - Select Tools | References... and look for references starting with MISSING. Do you find any?
    - Locate the After Update event code for the search boxes. Click in the Private Sub ... line for one of them. Press F9 to set a breakpoint. Then switch to Access, open the form, enter something in the search box and press Tab. The code should pause at the Private Sub line. You can move forward line by line by pressing F8. You can inspect the value of properties and variables by hovering the mouse pointer over them. Try to find out where the code goes sideways.

Oh, one other thing. Do you have the same version of Access, Jet Engine etc. in both locations, with the same service packs?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, Hans. I'll check all that stuff when I return to work next week.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

A quick question, Hans: Where do I check for the version of Jet Engine? Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

MSKB article How to obtain the latest service pack for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine contains a section "How to determine the current release level of Jet 4.0". It is not quite up-to-date, however; although it mentions SP-8, it has no information about the file versions for that service pack. You'll find those in Information about Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8. If your file versions are later than that, you have the most recent version, installed by one of the security patches for Windows XP.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: I'm checking the things you suggested. One of the misbehaving computers gives me an error (missing reference) when I run the de######. Then in Tools > References, I see the following:

<font face="Georgia">(Missing)Microsoft Word 10.0 Object Library</font face=georgia>

This might be significant, since the computers in the other office (where I built and maintain the database) run Office XP. (And that's where the attempted reference to Word 10.0 comes from, eh?) So what should I do with this information?

And by the way, why does Access even think about a reference to an MS-Word Object Library...?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just clear the check box for the missing reference(s) and click OK. Then select Debug | Compile Project if the code is OK now.

Somebody must have set the reference to the Word object library at some time. You would use it if you wanted to control Word in code from Access.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

A-Ha! That 'splains it! I mentioned that I work on this database with a computer running OfficeXP. In fact, I recently was experimenting with running Word from Access (without much success, I might add). So...when I copied my front end to the shared directory and then copied it onto machines in the other office (where they still use Office 10), the reference to Word 10 Object Library went with it.

Anyway, the problem has been fixed now. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Umm, Office XP = Office 2002 = Office 10, but never mind...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>machines in the other office (where they still use Office 10)<hr>

Oops! I meant to say "Office 2K." Thanks!