2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Favorites in Office 2003? (Office 2003/WXP)

I just made the leap to Office 2003, and I quite like it. But, when I use File Open or File Save there is no Favorites option as there was in XP. Is this right, or am I missing someting.

ASlso, there seems to be no VIEW - Fit to Window option either. Both of these are commands i used a lot.

Thanks,

Michael

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Favorites in Office 2003? (Office 2003/WXP)

Hi Michael,

I have no experience with Office XP as I jumped directly from Office 2000 to Office 2003. Which component of Office 2003 are your referring to when looking for Favorites?

I think of Favorites as related to Internet Explorer. For the Word or Excel applications, as an example, the File Open or File Save refers to either My Recent Documents | Desktop | My Documents | My Computer | My Network Places. However, there is a drop down menu where you can move to any drive or folder of your choice. You also have the choice of defining where you want documents to be stored, other that the default My Documents folder.

Where do you save your documents?

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In Office XP there was a further choice. On the left hand icon bar in File-Open or File-Save, in addition to My Documents and My Computer, etc, there was Favorites. Since I have a very deep and detailed folder system this was very useful to me. Now to navigate to an often used folder might take 5 or 6 steps.

Michael

Go Flames!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Michael,

Found a solution for you.

Let's use Word as an example. Open Word, then File | Open. When the Open window is presented, use the Look In drop down menu to find your Favorites folder. With Favorites reflected in the Look In box, click on Tools and then Add to My Places. Expand the Open Windows and you will see your Favorites icon added to the boxed area. You can then go to the boxed area and move the icons up or down.

Hope this helps...

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Absolutely perfect! Many thanks!

Michael

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob:
    I still use Word 2000, but if I select a folder in the "Look in" box, I can click on Tools & there is an option to "Add to Favorites". Does this still exist in later versions?
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In Office 2002/XP, there is both an "Add to Favorites" and an "Add to My Places" item in the Tools menu in the Open and Save As dialogs.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

In O2003, the item in the Tools folder has been renamed to Add to "My Places" and gets added as an item (folder) in the lefthand sidebar.

Based on a previous message from Michael, I suspect the similar concept is there in Office XP.

Edited to add: based on HansV's comment, I will rephrase the above to state that "Add to Favorites" does not exist to O2003.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you for the information. I guess MS decided that if you could add Favorites to the Places Bar, you didn't need the Add to favorites. Although if you use the Tools menu, a shortcut is added to Favorites; if you save directly into Favorites, the file is added.