2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Connecting 2 PC's to Internet w/ 1 ADSL connection

What's the simplest (wired, not wireless) way to do this with 1 computer running XP Pro and 1 running 98 Second Edition? Set up a peer-to-peer network with Ethernet cable, then connect the ADSL modem to one computer? (Assuming ISP provides multiple E-mail addresses.)

I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer...would my best bet be to buy the modem and splitter from the provider and then have a computer expert install the network and the modem?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Connecting 2 PC's to Internet w/ 1 ADSL connection

I would suggest buying an all-in-one ADSL Modem / Router / Firewall / Switch . There are lots of these on the market. I can recommend the Speedtouch 110 V4, but I'm sure others will have other recommendations.

You connect this box to the ADSL phone line and then connect each PC to the switch via an Ethernet cable.

The only essential configuration is to tell the box the username and password for your ISP, which you can do from a web browser on one of your PCs. Some suppliers will even set this up for you before shipping the router so that you just have to plug your PCs in and go.

You then set up both the PCs to get their IP addresses automatically from the router (this is the default setup) and it should all just work.

StuartR

Thanks

The simplest way to do this is via a router. These are very inexpensive and this method allows you to network plus share a firewalled internet connection. If you use a router, you require only one network adapter in each computer. If you choose to go with Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing, the XP box will require 2 adapters - 1 to connect to your network and the other to connect to the modem. As well, the XP box will have to be powered on anytime the second computer wants to connect to the internet.

Go to "Help & Support" and search on "ICS" (internet connection sharing). There is quite a bit of information here on various ways to network and share internet connections. NOTE - when you see a reference to a "residential gateway", MS is talking about a router. Googling will also reveal a wealth of information about setting up a small network. This MS site and this Practically Networked site will help to get you started.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. One further point...the older PC (Dell, vintage 2000) appears not to have a network card. (The only device that shows up under "Network" in the hardware list is a dial-up adapter). And I think the USB is only v. 1.1

Does this mean that I need to install a network card, or is there an (equally fast) equivalent that will work with USB 1.1?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The simplest (and cheapest) approach will be to install a PCI network card.

StuartR

Thanks

As Stuart has indicated, a network adapter is required.
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does an all-in-one ADSL Modem / Router / Firewall / Switch (as recommended by StuartR) or a stand-alone router have an "analog" outlet to which I can connect my fax machine? If not, what needs to be between the wall outlet and the router to allow for this?

Thanks

To my knowledge, no router has this capability. However, if you have a dedicated fax machine, the setup is very simple. A splitter/filter (which is usually obtained from your ISP or from any electronics store) is plugged into the telephone wall outlet. This is a "one input - two output" device. Then one branch is connected to your fax machine, and the other branch is connected to the router. The splitter will indicate which branch to use for the router (usually indicated as "modem") and which to use for the fax (usually indicated as "line"). Hope this answers your question.
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the UK, most modems come with filters for your phones. So you would just need to buy a standard splitter (the sort you would use for connecting two phones to the socket) and put the filter between the FAX machine and its socket.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Which ISP are you with. I am with Bell Sympatico and was having a problem with connecting. In the end it proved to be the fact that I had a splitter in the socket where the ADSL modem was and that the splitter caused there to be too much line noise. Removing the splitter is one of the first things that Bell has you do to solve line noise problems. (I had it set up where the splitter was hooked into the wall and the ADSL modem was straight into the splitter. the fax machine had a filter then went into the other side of the splitter.) I also tried a filtered splitter for fax / modem which did not work as well. I don't know if this will be a problem but I thought I would let you all know.

Thanks

I am with a local ISP but the backbone that my ISP uses is the same as Sympatico's - the Bell Nexxia system. Looks like your setup is OK - wall to splitter, splitter to unfiltered DSL, splitter to filtered fax. Looks like the only difference between setups is that I am going from the wall to a filtered splitter . The filtered side then goes to the fax and the unfiltered side goes to the router (and DSL). It seems that in your case, the filter is the problem. My only suggestion is to ask Sympatico if they can provide you with a filtered splitter (or purchase one at an electronics supply store) and give that a try. If that does not solve the problem, perhaps your only other alternative is a separate phone line for the fax.
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Already gave that a try and the tech support at Bell told me I can't have a splitter in the line where the modem jacks in, they say that causes too much line noise....it sounded like the guy I was talking to was just reading this out of a book. None of what he was saying made much sence to me. I had to have Bell throttle me connection speed back a little to cut the noise and errors out...sounds like this would slow down my connection but with less noise there was less errors and this made for a faster connection.

After the speed adjustment I could add a splitter with no problems.

Thanks

Possibly the tech support guy may have been correct. With my setup, I was having dropped connection problems (ie. shut down and restart the modem and router several times a day). The first thing tech support asked me to do was to remove the splitter. Turns out that was not the problem (bad modem) but perhaps splitters do introduce extra noise. After Bell slowed down your speed, are you operating with or without the splitter?
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Corey,

I'm also with Sympatico. When you signed up did they give you noise filters for each of your phone connectors in other locations in your home? These filters are needed to cut down on interference.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

yeppers.... and I bought the splitter at a bell world store.