2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Address book (Netscape 4.7)

I'm moving from a computer with Netscape 4.7 to a new computer with IE (6.0, I think). What's the name or file type of the address book in Netscape Communicator? If it's not a .txt file, what program do I need to read it? Any simple way to convert it to IE format?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Address book (Netscape 4.7)

If you open your address book in Netscape, you should be able to use the Export command on the File menu to export it to one of several formats. However, if you use folders to organize your address list, it looks like you have to export each folder separately. Also, if you have mailing lists, they are not exported in a form that is very usable.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The name of the Address Book file in Netscape 7 is <code>abook.nab</code>. You don't mention what email program you will be using on the new computer (IE is a browser, not an email client), but after you export the Address Book, as Legare mentions, the new email program should have an import feature.
    Cheers,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And in 4.7 it was abook.na2 if I remember correctly. But if you follow the instructions for exporting it then it shouldn't matter what format it's currently in, what matters is the format to which you export it. No opinion on what's best for that-the only time I work with Outlook or Outlook Express (which is what I assume you'll be using) is when I'm moving people off of it. Netscape likes LDIF formats for importing. Or maybe that's just me.