2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

dusting a monitor

Finally upgraded from CRT to a beautiful (Dell) 19-in flat panel. What do Loungers recommend as a cleaning method?

Thanks

Re: dusting a monitor

Most LCD panel manufacturers recommend simply a damp cloth (water). I have also used a cloth dampened with an anti static spray without any adverse effects.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can also purchase swipes (sort predampened tissue type, er...things) from most computer stores. Have also had baby wipes (similar things) recommended by more than one person. These are usually cheeper.
    Granville

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To remove day-to-day dust, I drag a Post-It note or two, gummy side down, over the surface.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefnl,

I'm about to order a Dell system and am choosing a 17" Ultrasharp flat panel. I have some vision problems and am wondering if you can adjust the brightness and contrast on flat panels like you can on crts. And can you set to 800x600? Do you have any advice or "warnings" which will save me some grief before ordering?

Thanks,
    Kris
    Kris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have a Dell 17" Ultrasharp LCD monitor at home. You can set contrast and brightness, and you can set various resolutions, from 800 by 600 to 1280 by 1024. The latter is its "native" resolution. At other resolutions than 1280 by 1024, the image will be slightly less crisp. All in all, I am very satisfied with it, it is easier on the eyes (to me, at least) than a traditional CRT monitor.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans!

I'm psyched and ready to hit Buy Now. But first I have to remove the old desk and rug/pad, paint the walls, install baseboard, lay the rug, put together the new computer desk, and change the BIOS battery on the old system (it's sold to my neighbor who certainly won't want to be resetting the CMOS on every boot). Can't put a brand new computer on that old desk! Meanwhile, my Dell cart expires and I have to build a new one every week.

Have you had any Dell problems at all? The guy who has done my hardware work for 15 years is seriously ill and I'm on my own for the first time. Anything I should be careful of or look out for?

Thanks,
    Kris
    Kris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the first place, you should know that this is Dell Europe I'm talking about - the machines are assembled in Ireland, then shipped all over Europe.

I've had the current machine since January, 2003 and have never had a single problem with it; the one before that was a Dell too and functioned for four and a half years without problems too. But I may have been lucky; my brother had to have a series of components replaced in his Dell. The replacement service was prompt.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Kris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Kris

I might have had one of a pair of RAID-1 disks fail after about a month on my new Dell 8300 at the end of February, but I wasn't entirely convinced, since it seemed intermittent. They sent me a new disk and I replaced it and it rebuilt the array automatically, and has continued to work cheerfully since then!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...