Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Compare Sections/Paragraphs (2000)

I have a fairly lengthy, technical contract that I need to compare 2 versions of. How can I compare the two documents on a paragraph-by-paragraph basis? That is, currently Word 2000 randomly (at least it appears that way) selects large blocks of text (that may be several pages in length) and then does the comparison. What I would like to do is do a comparison of say Article I, Section 1-old to Article I, Section 1-new, Article I, Section 2-old to Article I, Section 2-new, and so on, in order. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Thanks

Re: Compare Sections/Paragraphs (2000)

My experience was that Word 2000 would at some point believe that all of the rest of the first document had been deleted and that all of the rest of the second document had been inserted. At this point, after much cursing, I would ask someone with Word 97 to do the Compare.

Word's Compare feature only works at the level of an entire document. To use the built-in feature to compare two paragraphs or sections, one would have to either manually or with VBA code generate two new documents, compare them, and copy the compared result back into a results document that collected the results of all the compares. I'm not sure that is worth coding!

We regularly have threads on third party alternatives to Word's somewhat underpowered document compare feature. Here's one from a few days ago.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compare Sections/Paragraphs (2000)

Thanks, Jscher2000