New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows xp 5.1 2600 service pack

When I first turn my computer on in the morning it is very slow and when I do get to the logon for windows sometimes it feezes and sometimes it lets me log on there and then it 1. freezes 2. takes me to the desktop , which now tells me that I need to do desktop recovery( and it freezes there and won't let me do it or it lets me click on it and then freezes. 3. takes me to the good desktop and freezes there and rarely lets me in. When I use IE for anything it will bring up what I request rather slowly then it will bring up numerous IE screens whit all ads fo rsomething and then it crashes telling me that IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. This is very aggravating and takes me forever just to log in to get to the internet.
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows xp 5.1 2600 service pack

You may have been infected by a computer virus/worm, or by adware/spyware/malware.

1. Make sure that you have an ant-virus program installed and activated, and that it's definitions are up-to-date. Each of the major anti-virus programs has its fans and its enemies, so I won't give a specific recommendation. There is a free online virus scan available from the header of each forum - see screenshot below.

2. Make sure that you have a firewall installed and activated. If you don't have one yet, the Internet Connection Firewall built-in to Windows XP will do. The online help will tell you how to activate it.

3. Download and run anti-malware programs. See KenK's <!post=Anti Adware/Spyware/Hijack,296439>Anti Adware/Spyware/Hijack<!/post> and <!post=Spyware/AdWare/Malware FAQ and Removal Guide,378115>Spyware/AdWare/Malware FAQ and Removal Guide<!/post> for very useful links.