3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a way to lock the data in Access? (Access 2000)

Is there any way to lock up my database? To prevent users from getting at the tables, queries, etc. Basically I just want them to get at the forms. I don't want them to be able to mess with the database itself.

Thanks

Re: Is there a way to lock the data in Access? (Access 2000)

It's difficult to tell from your question, but I presume you want to allow them to view the information but not "mess" with it. If so, open the form(s) in design view and go to the properties box (data tab); set the Edits, Deletions, Additions permissions to "no". You can decide to choose all or any of those permissions depending on your needs. If you want them to be able to access only particular records within the record-set, then you will need to query the tables/queries that the form(s) are based on. Post back with your specific needs and someone more capable than I will certainly come to the rescue.
    Bryan,
    Not the smartest critter on the glacier. . .
    . . .but I'm persistent (does that count?)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I want them to be able to add invoices, add payments, edit students info, etc. But I don't want them to be able to manipulate the data through the tables. I want them to have to use the forms. I don't want them to go into design view and mess up my forms, or reports. I hope this is a bit more clear.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Is there a way to lock the data in Access? (Ac

To do this properly, you need to set up Security, which is a moderately complex thing to learn about.

You will find info about it in this Security tutorial by WendellB.

Less rigorously you can use the startup options (in Tools..Startup) to do something.

Specifing a startup form and hiding the database window will get you started.
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by patt on 07-Jun-04 16:48. Acknowledge John's post)</P>I developed a test database years ago to do just what you are asking. It uses the idea that John gave in the last post, it's using the startup options.

What you can do is to put a control onto a form that calls another form to enter a password before it exits the database. When you come back into the database the database window is then visible and all objects (tables, queries, forms, etc)are available.

When you enter the database a subsequent time you will notice that all the objects are not accessible.

Thanks

I use the Switchboard as my startup form and have never had anyone mess with the back end of my small P2P LAN. Of course I only have part-time help and they (as of yet anyway) don't have a clue about holding down the shift key during startup. Security is the only "secure" way to secure a db, but be prepared to devote some time to this task.
    Bryan,
    Not the smartest critter on the glacier. . .
    . . .but I'm persistent (does that count?)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what John suggested, you might also make your FrontEnd database (you are using a split database model, aren't you?) into an mde database. This absolutely keeps everyone out of design mode for forms, reports, and modules.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jennifer,
    i don't think you need to go into security from your statements. It just sounds like to me you don't want users getting into design view. If these are fairly new users to Access meaning they have only used Access not actually designed one, you can use the switchboard manager to allow and force people to only get into forms/reports you want them to. then use the startup feature under the tools menu to disable being able to see the database window and menus. If you need to get into design view then you use the f10 key to bring all that back. otherwise, if they close the switchboard they close the database. To have the switchboard maximize when the database is opened, I use the AutoExec macro feature. bascially it's a regular macro that has openform and maximize fuctions in it, but if you name AutoExec exactly as it is, then it will run automatically when you start the database. Still use all the startup features i mentioned before just not the form to startup feature.
    Hope it helps,
    Deb