3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Subform in form view, not datasheet (Access 2000)

I have created a subform using the wizard. When I leave design view, it shows in datasheet view. How can I get the subform to be in form view - not datasheet view? Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Subform in form view, not datasheet (Access 2000)

Open the subform by itself in design view and set the property for the form to be either continuous or a single record depending on your needs. (note that it can also be done with the main form in design mode - you have to select the subform (not the subform container) and then display the properties for the subform.)
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open the subform in design view and set the default view to Single Form or Continuous Form as desired.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. It worked. When the main form displays I show the Customer information. I then created a command button to open form #2. On form #2 I display the policy number and the customer number. Below that data is the subform. In the subform I list the additional insured information of the customer. Question, when the comman button is selected to open up form #2, how do I get the policy number to synch with the policy number on the main form?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Something like this:

Private Sub cmdOpenForm2_Click()
    DoCmd.OpenForm FormName:="frmForm2", WhereCondition:="[PolicyNumber]=" & Me.[PolicyNumber]
    End Sub

where:
    cmdOpenForm2 is the name of the command button on the main form.
    frmForm2 is the name of form #2.
    PolicyNumber is the name of the field containing the policy number.

I have assumed that PolicyNumber is a number field. If it is a text field, change the above to

..., WhereCondition:="[PolicyNumber]=" & Chr(34) & Me.[PolicyNumber] & Chr(34)

Chr(34) is the double quote ", text values must be enclosed in quotes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Earlier I created a report where I displayed the customer information grouped by policy number, then the policy year and the data for that year. I want to re-create this same data on the subform. Form # 2 states the Policy Number and the Premium Year is a combo box. In the subform I now want to display the data by Premium Year. Basically, if the Premium Year changes in the combo box, I want the data in the subform to be in synch with the Premium year. How can I do this? Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By far the easiest way is to set the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields of the subform correctly.
    - Open form#2 in design view.
    - Click once on the subform (don't click a second time, that would select something within the subform)
    - Activate the Data tab of the Properties window.
    - In Link Child Fields, enter the name of the premium year field in the subform.
    - In Link Master Fields, enter the name of the premium year field or combo box on form#2

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I tried this and I realize I need to link the Policy Number and the Premium Year of form #2 to the main form. When I followed your instructions the Premium Year matched, but now one customer has all the data for that Premium Year. What should I do? Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Change the code from my reply higher up in this thread from

DoCmd.OpenForm FormName:="frmForm2", WhereCondition:="[PolicyNumber]=" & Me.[PolicyNumber]

to

DoCmd.OpenForm FormName:="frmForm2", WhereCondition:="[PolicyNumber]=" & Me.[PolicyNumber] & _
    " And [PremiumYear]=" & Me.[PremiumYear]

with, of course, the appropriate names substituted. I don't understand, however, why you would have a combo box for Premium Year on form#2 if it is linked to the year on the main form.