Thanks

Style in table cell & end marker (Word 2002 (SP-2))

I know there must be a simple answer to this one, but I'm new to Word and stumped.

I have a one-line paragraph that is entirely underlined (through direct formatting, not the paragraph's style). I copy the paragraph (including the paragraph marker in my copy). I paste the paragraph into an empty table cell, retaining the source formatting. So far, so good (the pasted text retains both its style and its direct formatting), but I've got a 2-paragraph cell -- i.e., the paragraph mark that I pasted is there, followed by the end-of-cell marker (with Table Grid as its style).

If I put the cursor to the left of the paragraph mark and delete it, my direct formatting (underlining) remains, but the text changes to Normal style.

On the other hand, if I put the cursor to the left of the end-of-cell marker and backspace, the text retains its style (and the end-of-cell marker appears to take on that style as it moves up to the end of the paragraph), but the direct formatting (underlining) is deleted.

How do I retain both the style and direct formatting of the source but avoid having both a paragraph mark and end-of-cell marker in the cell?

Thanks

Re: Style in table cell & end marker (Word 2002 (SP-2))

Try not copying the end-of-paragraph mark on your source paragraph.

Added: Sorry, you want to retain the style, too. No time to play with this now, maybe tonight.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What interesting behaviour. The issue is that the cell marker needs to be altered to match the style of the paragraph that you are pasting.

If you paste your paragraph into the table cell and then immediately cut it out and paste it back again then it behaves the way you want, but I can't see any way to automate this short of a macro.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The way I would do this is to do the paste as you are doing and then use the Format Painter button to copy the formatting of the first paragraph into the second paragraph before deleting the return. This middle step has always worked for me and can be done in advance of the paste operation if you wanted to prepare multiple cells for the paste and delete to come.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Thanks, that works -- but it shouldn't really be necessary, should it? Is there any reason the result of combining two paragraphs by deleting a paragraph mark should be different within a table than outside it?

If not, and given that this is 2 pieces of buggy within-cell style-related behavior in 24 hours, I'm led (as a Word newbie who hasn't done much with tables yet) to wonder whether tables in general are somewhat of a backwater in Word. In my WordPerfect past, I've used tables quite a lot to structure information, often with what in Word would be different paragraph styles within the same cell. Should I be thinking about making more minimal use of tables in Word? Or do smart Word users use tables to their hearts' content but minimize the use of styles within tables? Or am I just off to a bad start and are Word tables pretty much solid as containers of styled paragraphs?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree, it shouldnt be necessary but there is some jiggery pokery that goes on when deleting paragraph marks. In theory the formatting for the paragraph is held in the paragraph mark that follows each paragraph - this would make you believe that deleting a paragraph mark will then apply the formatting of the following paragraph to the current paragraph. However the MS engineers decided that this would confuse too many people and they perform a fancy background operation to copy formats between the paragraphs upon deleting a return so that less things change. This is not restricted to inside table cells.

Are tables broken? Now that is a question that could keep us entertained for weeks. I personally think tables are great but there are limits to what you can do with them. As far as formatting goes, tables are a LOT more flexible and useful than any alternative you can find in Word.

If you are a newbie convert from Wordperfect you will have missed the earlier versions of tables. Back in the pre-Word 2000 days, tables were things of beauty and great stability. Now with each new version "added features" are evolving tables into a less controllable beast. These sorts of features which are not truly bedded down are generally driven by MS's attempts to make Word a HTML editor which it never really should be. These new features which aren't quite right are things such as:
    1. <LI>nested tables
      <LI>% width columns vs absolute width columns
      <LI>vertically merged cells
      <LI>wrapping text around tables
      <LI>table styles (a long time coming)
    I think smart Word users use tables to their hearts' content but also use paragraph styles exclusively and avoid local formatting at all costs in large documents. Word is completely different to Wordperfect so there is always heartache for the converts - stick with it as there is nothing out there to rival the market dominance of this software.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia