Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Mysterious Failure (WXP Home)

While trying to help a friend with her email connection (wouldn't download messages -- but I believe that was the server's problem) we suddenly lost access to the OE window. Thinking we had inadvertently closed OE, we clicked on the OE shortcut and briefly got the hour glass but OE didn't appear. I tried this several times with no response. I checked Task Manager and no tasks were running. I tried IE and it ran OK, but couldn't get OE to run.

I finally gave up and decided to turn off the computer and re-boot. HOWEVER, when I clicked on Start there was only a "Log Off" option. The "Turn off computer" button was not there! So I clicked on Log Off, and lo and behold OE popped up with a message saying it was going to close the application.

Thius, it seems that OE was actually running (probably in a hung state in background or whatever), but it didn't appear on the desktop nor show up as a process in Task Manager.

Any ideas as to what in the world would cause this phemonena? (A virus or worm or?) and how to avoid it in the future?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mysterious Failure (WXP Home)

And AFTER you restarted the machine, is OE behaving correctly? As you and I both know, especially where "communication" is concerned, there are glitches that we may never solve, so it would be good to know whether the machine seems to operating properly now that you booted. By the way, when you had Task Manager open, did you look in both Processes and Applications tabs?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Upon rebooting everything returned to normal (except receiving emails still hung up, but, again, I assume that was a server fault).

I checked applications - nothing there. There were lots of Processes present, most of which I have no idea what they are doing, but none of them looked out of place to me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, why don't you keep an eye on it and see if the POP server problem continues. I guess you could check the settings to see if something has gotten accidently hosed. The reason I asked the question about the Applications tab is related to a periodic example on my end. I run the Palm Desktop software all the time and keep the calendar open on the screen. Every once in awhile it doesn't seem to be there or on the Taskbar, so it looks like it's not even running. However if I look in the App tab of Task Manager I can see it running. I then click on "Switch To.." and it suddenly shows up. Who know what evil lurks...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps something similar happend with OE. However, it did not show up in the Task Manager as a running Application. That's what really stumped me.

I will be checking with my friend on the POP server problem. Unfortunately I had to leave early before pursuing that problem because I tutor at the local library computer center and had to get to an appointment.