Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Shutdown Problem (XP Pro)

A friend described to me an issue that's developed with a fresh (formatted HD) reinstall of XP Pro. When he shuts down, the PC is not turned off completely, but leaves him with the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" (or whatever) screen. He says that he can't turn off the box with the power switch - this, he claims, will only power up, not down. So he has to pull the plug on it. He also says that things used to shut down "fully" (via ATX BIOS I'm guessing) with the old install on the same hardware.

I don't know whether to advise him to look at BIOS settings, or some setting in XP... neither of which I'm greatly familiar. I've looked here and elsewhere, but nothing I've found seems to address this particular flavour of "hang". Any advice appreciated.

Alan

Thanks

Re: Shutdown Problem (XP Pro)

Alan, have him check Control Panel>Power Options>advanced. Select power button drop down, " when I press the power button on my computer" select "shut down". OK out.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm gonna say right up front that I know nothing about this, but it's possible he SHOULD check the BIOS to see if it's "ACPI" compliant. Without this capability, it's my understanding that a computer will not power off, but rather give you the screen you mentioned. What worries me is what you said about having to pull the plug. That doesn't sound like an ACPI problem, but I don't know what it might be.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Most machines one MUST hold the button in for 5-10 seconds before shut down. A lot of people will just hit and release and that is NOT enough. The hold and wait is to prevent the "knee knocker" from shutting it down.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.