Silver Lounger
    Morden, Surrey, United Kingdom

Macros (XL97/WinNT4)

Can someone tell me how you record a macro so it actually records the keystrokes performed, not just the results of the keystrokes? I don't mean relative vs absolute recording, I know about that but it doesn't change this problem for me!

Some of my users have a big spreadsheet where one column consists of hyperlinks, where the cell contains the name of the company and is hyperlinked to the document concerned. These currently start, eg "FALSEDATA..." and need to be changed to, eg "CORRECT01DATA..." but since the links are not in the cells in the normal way Ctrl-H can't see them.

I therefore need to record the keystrokes, ie Insert, Hyperlink, go to left end of field (home), press delete 7 times, type "CORRECT01", click OK. When I do it, however, it just records "Selection.Hyperlinks(1).content = "CORRECT01DATAFOLDERFOLDERFOLDERDOCNAME.XLS" or whatever the name of the current link is.

Since I don't want all the links pointing to the same document, this is no good!

Is there a way to records keystrokes, please?

Any help gratefully appreciated!
    Beryl M

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Macros (XL97/WinNT4)

I do not think you can record the keystrokes.

Perhaps the code in <post#=307979>post 307979</post#> will answer your "goal". It is a find/replace in all the hyperlinks in the sheet.

Uranium Lounger
    South Carolina, USA

Re: Macros (XL97/WinNT4)

Excel's macros are VBA, not keystrokes. If the macro recorder recorded keystrokes, you could not do anything with it since there would be no way to play them back. To do what you want to do, you need to learn enough VBA to modify the recorded procedure.
    Legare Coleman