Thread: Security (2000)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Security (2000)

I am a new Access user. I've created a database to track our employees and their training. I have a few questions but I'd like to start by asking about security. I created the database on my PC and have since copied it to our share drive for others to view and use. The user level security wizard in Access seems to work fairly easily but when the database is accessed from other machines the groups I created dont seem to apply. How can I set up security on the database that will apply to all that try to access it on our share drive. Also, I tried to set a password on the database and followed the instructions about opening the database exclusively but it still gives me the same warning about having to have it opened exclusively to create or change a password. Could someone please give me some advise, it would be greatly appreciate. Thank you! ~Dave

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security (2000)

Hello Dave,

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Security information is stored in two places:
    - Information about users and groups is stored in a workgroup information file (extension .mdw)
    - Information about permissions on database objects is stored in the database.

When you set up security, the user and group information was probably stored in the default workgroup information file on your PC, named System.mdw. This information is not available from other PC's. You should do the following:
    - Locate the .mdw file on your PC. It may be stored in a hidden folder, so make sure that you display hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer.
    - Copy it to a shared folder on the network, for example the same folder where you made the database available.
    - Rename it to (for example) Secured.mdw.
    - Create a shortcut to the database that opens it with the secured workgroup information file. The target looks like this:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSAccess.exe" "serversharefolderMyDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "serversharefolderSecure.mdw"

You may want to create a new unsecured System.mdw on your hard disk. If you throw away (or move) the old one, Access will create one automatically for you.

Access moderator <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile> has a tutorial on his website: The Secrets of Security. It contains useful links.

New Lounger
    Thanks

HANS,
    First of all, I'd like to thank you very much for that information. It worked perfectly! I greatly appreciate your help and the swiftness of your responce. Thanks for your time and I will probably have a few more questions here shortly that I'll be posting, hope you guys dont get sick of me! This web site is invaluable and I'm so glad I found it. Have a great day.

~Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another reference document you might find useful is Jack MacDonald's User Security paper - one of these days I'll modify our tutorial to include a link to it. It is a well written look at some of the nuances of using Access User Security and is quite useful for someone just getting started with the feature.
    Wendell