5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DataEntry (Access03)

When I sent the DataEntry property, using the property sheet, to Yes the form still comes open with the last record displayed. I have Allow Additions set to yes. What else should I check to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DataEntry (Access03)

Does this happen when you open the form from the database window? Or do you open the form another way?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you mean that the form comes up with an existing record showing or with an empty "new" record?
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When the form is part of the final product it comes up with the existing record data showing. This also happens when it is just itself and it's subform.

I have the same setup with another form/subform using different queries and forms. Both are set-up exactly the same regarding the properties.

Thanks for all of your help.

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the query that acts as Record Source for the form allow adding new records? If not, Access will ignore the Data Entry setting.
    - or -
    Is the Recordset Type property of the form set to Snapshot? If so, Access will ignore the Data Entry setting.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Recordset property for the query and form is set to Dynaset. DataEntry is set to Yes.

Thanks. Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And have you checked whether the query that is the record source of the form, when opened by itself, allows creating new records, i.e. is the New Record button on the toolbar and in the navigation buttons enabled?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

The new button on the form's query is NOT enabled. So what do I need to change to enable it?

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is the explanation why the form displays an existing record despite the Data Entry = Yes setting.

How to make the query updateable depends on the design of the query. Some things to try:
    - Set the Unique Records property of the query to Yes (this corresponds to SELECT DISTINCTROW in SQL)
    - If the query is based on more than one table, make sure that there is a unique index on the field on the "one" side of a join.

Totals queries (with Group By) are never updateable.

If you don't succeed, post back with information about the design of the query.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for hanging with me.

1. I changed the query's Unique Record property to Yes: no change
    2. The one side table has an AutoNumber primary key which is Indexed(No duplicates)
    3. The query is not a Grouped by query

The query is developed using three tables: 1. tblJobActionID which is comprised of the JobActionID (autonumber), EmployeeID (foreign key), and TypeOfAction
    2. the tblEvaluation that has EvalID (autonumber), JobActionID (foreign key), EmployeeID (foreign key), and other evaluation fields. 3. the tblSalary that has SalaryID (autonumber), JobActionID (foreign key), EmployeeID (foreign key), and other salary fields. The table relationship has been set in the Relationship window. The tblJobActionID is the one side to both the tblEvaluation and tblSalary which both are indicated as Many side.

I made a copy of the query and deleted first the salary then the evaluation table leaving just the second many side table in both cases. In both cases the query became updatable. So now the question is what could blocking the updatability of the query when designed as needed?

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Many evaluation records can be associated with one job action, and many salary records can be associated with one job action. In this design, Access can't determine which evaluation record is associated with which salary record. This makes the query non-updatable. For an updatable query, you need a hierarchy: table A is linked to table B by one field (with unique index in table A), and table B is linked to table C by another field (with unique index in table [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img], or a table linked to two lookup tables.

I can't determine from your description what the purpose of the tables and their relationships is, so I can't suggest an improvement. By the way, why is there an EmployeeID in all three tables?