4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

how to cut off dates (Access 2000)

I cannot explain myself what happens with my function.It deletes all the records
    if i write in the control of my form the date 01.01.2004, even though i have orders after 01.01.2004

Why do i delete eveything in my table.It seems to me the function is OK, but it is not and i am looking for help

Public Function RemoveBefore()
    Dim SqlRemoveFromOrders As String
    SqlRemoveFromOrders = " DELETE DISTINCTROW orders.orderdate AS Expr1 " & _
    " FROM orders " & _
    " WHERE orders.orderdate<#" & Format(Forms!FrmCutOff!CmdCutOff, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#"
    CurrentDb.Execute SqlRemoveFromOrders
    End Function

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: how to cut off dates (Access 2000)

Temporarily comment out the line <code>CurrentDb.Execute SqlRemoveFromOrders</code> by inserting an apostrophe ' in front of it, and insert a new line <code>Debug.Print SqlRemoveFromOrders</code> immediately above or below it.

Execute the function, then look at the Immediate window in the Visual Basic Editor (Ctrl+G). Copy the result into a reply.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Why do you use in mm/dd/yyyy, I don't believe you need them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A few suggestions:

* Deleting always deletes whole records, not just fields, so you can just write "Delete * Orders " & _
    * I notice the control on the form you refer to is CmdCutOff Usually a CMD control is a command button. Are you sure you are using the right one?

* I would put in msgbox(SqlRemoveFromOrders ) to inspect the sql before it executes.

* Yes, You do need the format stuff "mmVddVyyyy", although I don't know why you have V in there rather than / . (This of course could just be my ignorance.)

* Is the control on form where you put the date, formatted as a date field? I have seen people say you need to explicityly convert the form value to a date with a conversion function, although I have never found the need myself.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The backslashes are not needed, but they don't hurt either. A backslash in a format string indicates that the next character is a literal character. On systems where the forward slash / is NOT the system date separator, Windows adds backslashes if you enter a date format with forward slashes. The Format function doesn't need them, however.