Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup and permissions

I have a wireless network (one desktop and two laptops); each connected via a workgroup. My question relates to permissions to various folders and their contents. In a domain environment on can easily control who has access to what subdirectories and files. In a workgroup envirionment I read that one can only control visibilty via a PRIVATE setting on a subdirectory. What I would like to do is restrict my children from accessing my work and other folders. The workgroup environment provides user icons which a domain does not (that is why I have a workgroup setup). My children are young enough to select the icon and then go into their desktop which has numerous short cuts.

Any suggestions on how to prevent access to various subdirectories would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup and permissions

I'm going to guess that your PC is used by only yourself, or possibly your spouse also, and not your kids. I will also assume, that the kids have valid username / passwords on "the other" PCs. Going with these assumptions, I suggest the following.

On your PC, allow access to specific folders, rather than the hard drive in general (a good practice anyway). On the folders where you DO NOT want specific user access, create a DENY (or NO ACCESS) security rule for "COMPUTERNAMEUSERNAME". So, if Child_A accesses both PC_A and PC_B regularly, your security would DENY access to the users PC_AChild_A and PC_BChild_A. On a similar setup, any folder which you want "wide open", allow access to the "EVERYONE" user.

I had this setup in a W2K workgroup, where each PC connected the company's domain network via dial-up (long story, long since rectified). This worked well.
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks

I believe it is not possible to navigate "upwards" out of a shared folder into other folders on the PC. Thus, the most airtight way to do this is to only share with your kids the part of the folder tree they should be able to access, and put a strong password on the share for your part of the folder tree. (I realize this is a bit cryptic, but I hope it makes some sense.)

If the child will use the PC that actually contains the files, it's more complicated...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for you insight. There are occassions (laptop malfunctions) where the kids would need access to the desktop. At that point how what do you suggest?

John