5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Task reminder (2002)

When you start a new Task there is a Created date and time available. I want a new field to allow the entry of Hours Duration, e.g. 4 hours, and to then add this duration to the Created date and use this new information as the basis for a Due date/time, so that a reminder can appear based on this? How would you set about this? Does it require programming? Thanks, Andy.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Task reminder (2002)

It should be easy to create the new field by going into View menu (my menus are from 2003 which changed a bit from 2002) | Customize Current View | Fields, create the new field and set it's data type, then it should show in the table view of the Task. (If not use the Filed chooser to put it in there.)

Showing the field in the Task Item View will require customization of the form, which I don't have any skill with, but other Loungers do.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 10-Jun-04 11:16. Whoops, upon further review of your original post, you want to calculate forward, not calculate the duration. Oh well...)</P>Here's some sample code I run from a toolbar button. If you haven't used VBA before, here's some help on getting up and running:

1. <LI>Right-click the attachment and save in a convenient, easy to find folder (or onto the desktop)

<LI>Rename the file modMsgTimes.bas so it can easily be imported into the VB Editor

<LI>From inside Outlook, fire up the VB Editor using Alt+F11

<LI>From inside the VB Editor, choose File>Import... and import the modMsgTimes.bas from wherever you saved it

<LI>Save your Outlook project (File>Save)

<LI>Close the VB Editor to return to Outlook

<LI>Select an e-mail message in your Sent Items folder (or a message you sent in any other folder)

<LI>Run the macro MessageTimes from the macros dialog, Alt+F8. If this is disabled by your security settings, you might need to set Tools>Macro>Security to Medium and restart Outlook.

<LI>You can add the MessageTimes macro to a toolbar or menu using Tools>Customize..., if you wish, or copy the useful bits into your form (this part I really can't help you with)
    Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This code might be useful, but I want the broader picture first. I know that I can create a new custom field called HoursDuration of data type -number. I can add this field to the table view for Tasks. But how can I cause it to be a calculated field? Are there 'event procedures' that I can access to cause Outlook to recalculate the Due Date (and Time)?

Thanks

I looked at attaching VBScript code to a form event in a thread involving a drop-down (combobox?) control, but I can't find it. You probably should start with the help (see illustration) and see if you can find some good samples.

When designing a form, you can get to the code pane using Form>View Code

Hope this helps.