3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clipper (2002 (10.2616.2625))

I have a clipper Db and I need to open it in access add a record but still work with the files in the clipper application.
    the only problem I have is that the clipper application has the following files
    .dbf - the database file
    .ntx - some kind of index file I think
    .dbt - no idea here

I have tried just linking to the .dbf and i can add 1 record but then the index's get all messed up.
    does anybody know of a way to open the .dbf and the .ntx files so the data is not getting corrupted?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clipper (2002 (10.2616.2625))

I can't help you -- if you want to keep working in Clipper, and obviously you are not able to add a new record or you wouldn't be wanting to add it through Access --?. I imagine that you also don't have a way to re-index through Clipper. Well, one thing for ya -- I think the .dbt is the old associated memo field file -- classic early-days format for databases, the records w/ memos were in a separate, associated file. SO, certainly don't delete that ... and that might also be something that breaks if you want to try to add a record in Access. Well, best of luck.
    thx
    Pat

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clipper (2002 (10.2616.2625))

Don't know much about "Clipper" databases but according to MSKB 95044 it is correct that you will not be able to update an .ntx index file. See article for info:

ACC: Attaching Clipper Tables to Microsoft Access Databases

To quote article:

"It is possible to link (attach) Clipper .dbf files to a Microsoft Access database. To do so, link the file as a dBASE IV file. Note, however, the index may or may not be updatable.

"Clipper provides an alternative indexing method (.ntx) to the dBASE standard (.ndx). The Clipper index format is not recognized by Microsoft Access; therefore, Microsoft Access cannot update it correctly.

"However, if the Clipper application was developed by using the dBASE .ndx format, Microsoft Access updates the index correctly."

The article does not provide a work-around for this. The only solution may be to use Access, or Clipper, but not both; or to re-design the Clipper database so it uses an .ndx index which Access can recognize.

HTH