Lounger
    Thanks

losing the >>'s (2003)

If I want to forward a message, or clip and paste a previously forwarded message, is there a way to automatically lose the " > " symbols at the start of each line, and restore the original margins of the selected text? Or do I have to do it manually?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: losing the >>'s (2003)

I have Outlook 2002, but I suppose it's more or less the same in 2003:
    - Select Tools | Options...
    - If necessary, activate the Preferences tab.
    - Click the E-mail Options... button.
    - The lower half of the dialog contains dropdown lists in which you can specify how to handle the text of the original message when replying and when forwarding. You can set these independently of each other.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have not found a way in Outlook 2003 to remove excess >'s and other non-essential items like e-mail addresses and routing data from forwarded messages without performing a manual edit operation. That is, until I found a product called eCleaner, a freebie message editor that performs some excellent stuff. It can be found here.

I have the eCleaner shortcut placed in the Quick Launch taskbar. When I come across an e-mail containing excess garbage, I start by using the Forward process, then highlight the entire message and press Ctrl-C to copy to the clipboard. Then I open eCleaner and perform a Ctrl-V paste. Then I select the appropriate cleanup commands within eCleaner and let it do its stuff. When complete, I then copy and paste it back into the Outlook Forward box. I can then perform any minor editing on the new message in Outlook.

eCleaner doesn't do a complete job of editing but gets rid of 99.99% of junk. Tis well worth looking at!!!

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bob and Hans. I'm surprised Outlook 2003 doesn't have a way to automatically clean previously forwarded messages. I'll try to give eCleaner a look.

-w

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I do NOT remember seeing any other email program that will strip these out, have you?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

No, I haven't but I would think it's an obvious candidate to become a helpful feature in the future.

Thanks

<hr>...obvious candidate to become a helpful feature in the future...<hr>
    Hi, Wtango ~

I don't anticipate such a feature ever being built into a client as it seems that it doesn't seem that pervasive anymore except for those who may forward a forwarded webmail from the likes of AOL or Yahoo (which block and/or refuse)

eCleaner is a handy tool, though, for the occasion where that may arise.

The author has even suspended support and updates citing, "Well, after years of not having enough time to support or update eCleaner, I'm sorry to say I've come to the realization that I'll probably never get around to making another version of eCleaner, especially since I almost never receive any e-mails anymore that contains '>' symbols.

Most modern e-mail programs don't insert '>' into forwarded messages anymore. Instead, we now get an attached message containing an attached message contained an attached message, ad infinitum..."