3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DAO Troubles with 2002 (2000 to 2002)

I have had a similar problem with two projects that I have developed in 2000 but have delivered to users who were running Access 2002. Although the symptoms were different, the problem in each case seemed to be that Access 2002 did not like using DAO. In one case the reference to the DAO library kept declaring itself as missing. In the other the reference disappeared altogether. I am using DAO to access form recordsets and, with nothing else to guide me other than highest must be best, I am selecting a reference to the DAO 3.6 Object Library. Am I just unlucky or are there any known issues wirh Access 2002 (or 2003) and DAO?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DAO Troubles with 2002 (2000 to 2002)

I use Access 2000 format databases in Access 2002 with DAO all the time without problems (I don't have Access 2003). DAO 3.6 is the correct version for both Access 2000 and 2002.

Could it be that DAO has been installed in a non-standard location on some of the PC's? The default location is C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedDAODAO360.dll.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How are you delivering those databases and are they MDEs or MDBs? If you don't create an installer for them, then there is no guarantee that the apps will run properly on another machine, regardless of the version of Office they're running. The only time I've seen problems is when an MDE code library was part of the installation. Other references, however, such as to Outlook or Office libraries are guaranteed to break when installed on a machine with a different version of Office.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The databases in question are MDBs which are used as front ends (i.e., they contain the interface and local work tables). I send then as zip files. The users unpack them, re-set the links to the back ends then copy the front ends to the workstations where they will be used. How would I create an installer for MDBs?
    Also, is it possible that if the DLL is not found on the first machine that the front end is run on, and that version is then distributed, everybody else will get a copy with a brooken reference, even though they have the DLLs on their machines?
    Am I about to enter the legendary DLL hell?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have the developer edition of Office, you can use the packaging wizard to create an installer, but I'm not sure that's the problem here. If you're sending the front end somewhere and they are relinking and then copying it, the problem may be on their end. It is perfectly possible that the reference gets broken on that first machine and then gets copied to the others. How do you know it's the DAO library that is the problem? Have they opened the VBE and checked the references? On all the machines?
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the latest case (I solved the first by removing the DAO code - something I don't want to do again as the code is doing a useful job that I can't see another way of doing) the front end was sent back to me and I could see that the reference had disappeared. When I asked they then told me that they were having the same problem on all the machines.
    My latest tack has been to install 2002 on my development machine and I will deliver another version, converted from 2000 to 2002. Unfortunately, although I have the developer tools for 2000, I do not have them for 2002.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Then the problem is definitely at their end. Are they intentionally removing the reference or is DAO not properly installed on the machine that creates the copies? That can certainly happen and is generally handled by reregistering the DAO library..
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I re-register the DAO library?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check where DAO360.dll is installed on the PC, and adapt the path below if necessary.
    Select Start | Run...
    Type
    <code>regsvr32 "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedDAODAO360.dll"</code>
    and press Enter.