2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error accessing file. Network connection... (Access 2000)

Can someone please tell me what could be the problem when I get the following message:

"Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost."

It happens when I have my report in design view and I delete the old subform on the report and replace it with a new subform. Then, when I click on the "help" button on the error message dialog, it comes up with a blank help screen. This has happened to me before, both at home and at work, and I didn't know what to do and couldn't get help. I wish I knew what I might be doing to cause the error. Any guidance on this error message will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...Mary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Error accessing file. Network connection... (Access 2000)

It sounds like either your help files have been corrupted, or Access is trying to find the help file across the network. Is your install a local install from CD, or was your copy of Access installed across the LAN? Note that the HTML help files for Office are generally viewed as being quite flakey. I believe that Microsoft put out an update to the XP Help files, but I haven't been able to find anything about an update to Office 2000 Help.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the following (see ACC2000: Error Message: Error Accessing File. Network Connection May Have Been Lost. for details):
    - Create a new blank database.
    - Import all database objects from the problem database.
    - Do not close the database yet. Before doing so, activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11).
    - Set any non-standard references you had in the original database (Tools | References...)
    - Select Debug | <compile project>
    - Switch back to Access.
    - Select Tools | Database Utilities | Compact and Repair Database.
    - Close the database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans and Wendell....Since I usually copy a database in development from my office computer and bring it home to work on, and then copy it back to my office computer, could this be a cause of the error, even though I have Access 2000 on both computers? I tried deleting the general declaration "Option Compare Database" from the various modules and it seems to prevent the error, but could my deleting this general declaration cause other problems? I tried creating a new database and importing all the objects from the problem database into a new database and it works, but what's going to happen when I copy it back to my office computer? Many thanks for all your help!...Mary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would put the Option Compare Database back; that the problem you had vanished when you removed it is probably a side effect, I cannot imagine that the presence of Option Compare Database itself is a problem.
    Try compiling the code (Debug | Compile <project>) each time before you transfer the database to another computer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a feeling that my deleting the general declaration was not a good thing and could cause other problems. I will put it back and do as you suggest--compile the database right before I transfer it to a CD or diskette. Many thanks, Hans!...Mary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The usual culprit for that error is a 2002 application installed on one of the machines without the Office 2k SP-3 installed on both. It has NOTHING to do with Option Database Compare in the modules and everything to do with the versions of vbe6.dll installed by the two different generations of applications.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks, Charlotte...I'll make sure that my office and home versions of vbe6.dll are the same. It's very good to finally know what causes this error!