Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt Pivot tables (Excel 2000)

We have a large file with multiple pivot tables. When the user changes the source data - deletes rows etc, the pivot tables cannot be refreshed. When the user first starts out with a spreadsheet he has no problems with the pivot tables. After about 3 of them, he starts adding or deleting data and the pivots corrupt. I told him he needed togo to Access, but would like to give him an Excel answer also. one of the things I suggested was to use Excel data on the disk and create the pivot(s) in a new file.
    Does anybody have another suggestion?

Thank you so much for any and all help.

deutsch

Thanks

Re: Corrupt Pivot tables (Excel 2000)

What kind of problems are the users seeing? I would not think there would be an issue with deleting rows in a pivot causing refresh issues or even corrupts them. I can see deleting columns causing a problem but rows should not be an issue.

How are your table ranges defined to ensure that the pivot table source remain the entire datarange whether you add or subtract data?

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Basically, we cannot refresh after deleting rows. The user is trying to filter data and then use the pivot to show the filtered summarized data. I do not think he is deleting columns.

Thanks,

deutsch

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I have discovered in the meantime is the following:
    When we delete the rows, the Pivot table updates.
    When we cut and then paste the rows to another sheet, the Pivot table will not update. The error that comes up is 'The command requires at least two rows of source data.'
    It seems that the Pivot table has lost its source range information. When we re-set the range, all works well.
    This is awkward. Is it normal for Excel 2000 and 2002?
    Any way around this?

Thanks,

deutsch

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By cutting rows from the source data and pasting them into another worksheet, you are effectively breaking the source data into multiple pieces. This confuses Excel. Instead of cutting and pasting, try copying and pasting to transfer the data to another worksheet, then delete the rows. That way, no confusion will arise.

Thanks

In addition to Hans comments,
    Perhaps you should create a dynamic range name as the source for the pivot using the offset function. This could expand and contract as data is added and removed and should be unaffected by the moves.

For example if your source is:
    Sheet1!A1:G100

adding more, moving cells and inserting will change what should be the source.
    If you create a named range (insert name define)
    Name: PivotRows
    <pre>=COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)</pre>

Name:PivotData
    <pre>=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,pivotrows,7)</pre>

This range will expand and contract. (I assume that column A will not have any blanks within the dataset).

Use the range "PivotData" instead of "Sheet1!A1:G100" as your pivot source and it should always be valid.

(of course modify the example for your sheet names and number of columns)
    Steve