New Lounger
    Thanks

Validation rule (2000 SR-1)

I have 2 fields on a table "Date_Logged" and "Date_Cleared". I wanted to have a validation rule put in "Date_Cleared" so that it could not be before "Date_Logged". I used >="Date_Logged". For some reason no matter what combination of dates I use the validation rule fails. Am I missing anything obvious? Not sure if this is relevant but the default value of "Date_Logged" is set to today.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Validation rule (2000 SR-1)

You cannot refer to other fields in the validation rule for a field. You need to set the validation rule of the table as a whole:

- Open the table in design view.
    - Make sure that the Properties window is visible (View | Properties)
    - In the Validation Rule property in the Properties window, enter

[Date_Cleared]>=[Date_Logged]

- You must use square brackets to refer to a field, not quotes (quotes indicate a literal text string.)
    - In the Validation Text property, enter the text for the message to be displayed if the validation rule is violated.

The table-level validation rule will not be checked while the user is entering the dates, but before the record is saved, for example when the user moves to another record.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks - in the main this has worked - however I now think there is a problem with the default value in [Date_Logged] which is set as =Now(). When the default value is used the validation rule fails if [Date_Cleared]=[Date_Logged]. If [Date_Cleared] is overtyped with a date then the validation rule passes if the dates are the same. Sorry to be a pain!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the first place, I would set the default value for Date_Logged to Date() instead of Now(). Now has both a date and a time component. If Date_Logged is set to 15/06/04 12:09 and Date_Cleared is set to 15/06/04, the test Date_Cleared >= Date_Logged fails, for Date_Cleared corresponds to midnight.

You may have to change existing records too.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many Thanks again HansV - that has done the trick.