Lounger
    Thanks

Search Component (2002)

Hello,

I have a rather extensive company intranet and am trying to create a search page. I used the FP Search Component but I continue to get very poor results from it's searches. What does this search tool use to locate key words? Is it the title, keywords, meta tags or what? I have hundreds of Word Docs that also need to be indexed but they don't seem to be getting picked up in the searches very well. Any words of wisdom here regarding this issue?

Thanks,
    K

Thanks

Re: Search Component (2002)

I have never been impressed by the FP Search Component, it hasn't really been updated since FP was introduced in '97. I would check your web server software to see if there is a search component you can connect to instead.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

It is a FrontPage/IIS web and the Web Search Component is the only one I am aware of. Do you know of another?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I posted this a while back <post#=335986>post 335986</post#>. Long story, but essentially I took a web crawler I had written for a specific purpose, and turned it into a 'site' crawler, so that it would record all of the text from a web site into a database. Then when you want to search a site, you just query the database.

There are ways of vastly improving this project, I just never got around to it, because it works as is on my company's website. Feel free to holler if you have any questions.

Thanks
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile